Looking Back, Were You Easy Prey For The Witnesses

by minimus 22 Replies latest jw friends

• target
    target

Yes. My baby nephew had just died and I wanted to know what the Bible had to say about what happened after death.

I was no longer active in the Lutheran religion and my husband was not active in the Catholic religion after his experience in Viet Nam. So we were ripe all right.

Millie

• blondie
    blondie

I grew up in an abusive home. The KH was less abusive than my home. I moved a great deal and missed many meetings because of my non-witness father. It wasn't until I was away rom that home life that I could start applying the scriptures in a way that I thought would make me happier. I found that the many people at the KH were as abusive if not more so than my father. Hypocrisy abounded. I kept wondering why God did not fix it. Now I know it is because God is not with those people.

Blondie

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Yeppers, definitely easy prey. I was 21-years-old, an unwed mother who had just prayed her guts out to God that he would be a part of my life. hahahaha

• gumby
    gumby

We must remember folks,

Jehovah gaves us the freedom of "free choice". Some will choose the truth and some won't.

We who were born in it made it OUR CHOICE. I remember as a young 18 month old baby saying to myself.....I think this IS the truth.From them on I made it my own. When I was 5 and was asked to stand for the pledge of allegiance I remember.....choosing "on my own" ..not to worship this idol. I remember wishing how I could stand up in front of the class and telling all of then WHY this is wrong. Yes...I made the truth my own with no influence from anyone.

I was a big boy now.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Well, it was our mom that first let the JW's into our home. She was in a very unhappy marital situation, with an abusive mate. She had just had her fourth living child, after losing a couple, so that dad could finally get his son.

She was unfulfilled as a woman and as a person, and she was a good person. She was very sincere, and trying to live her life the best way she could. When the JW's came, they offered her friendship, ways to get to all the meetings and assemblies...help with her kids. They gave her a mission in life and she took it, gladly. She found purpose and direction. She could stop taking her nerve medicine, and stand up to dad for once. He would now come second to god. He didn't take that too well. She felt empowered.

And, since dad could have cared less about how his kids were raised, she just proded us right along on the JW pathway, and we fell right into line. When I became older, I realized what a bunch of crap it was, but the price was extremely high. I'd lose my mom, and since she was the only parent who I ever really had a good relationship, I found that a terrible price to pay. I hung on for ten more years, trying to live the lie, but then, finally just said "enough". I found my way "out" and have been on a much better road.

I know my mother was emotionally unstable. So was my dad. I really can't blame her for attaching herself to people who really seemed to love and care about us. The JW bond is a difficult one to break. It has such far reaching consequences. It tears families apart. It divides and separates. One has to be prepared to face all of that when leaving.

Personally, I don't believe I would ever have fallen for the JW dogma, had I been a mature adult in life when it presented itself to me. But, I was just a child when mom took it on.

Edited by - Sentinel on 21 December 2002 10:42:22

• freedom96
    freedom96

I had no choice, as my mom studied when I was quite young. But yes, there were issues for her that made the WTS seem attractive to her. I think that is the case with just about everyone who is an adult and makes the decision to become a witness. May be different reasons for everyone, but something is missing, and they are trying to fill in that hole.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Yeah, it was the free-floating anxiety that got to me, at seventeen. I was already half-convinced that I would see the world would end in disaster. All I needed to hear was "The meek shall inherit the earth", and I was in.

Hey! another six years and I'll have spent only half my life in the bOrg!

gently feral

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

I suppose somewhat. My husbands father had died while we were studying at the time and later we had found literature in his house. but their really is no one to blame but ourselves in that we should of done our own research instead of them finding the answers for us.

proffesor Jeff S told us that while he was a publisher/MS, he would scan the obituaries looking for addresses to make a call.

• minimus
    minimus

Be Careful that YOU are not easy prey, too.

• sxybrwneyes
    sxybrwneyes

I had no choice either since I was a baby, I never knew any better. I was brainwashed my whole life. Finally at 26 years old I left and never went back except for one memorial but never again!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit