Lott resigns...

by kelsey007 15 Replies latest jw friends

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

MY question is "Why are'nt the democrats jumping on Bush's hipocracy as well? They certainly need all the fuel they can get before 2004. It was Bush that stood before an open mike and BY NAME called someone a "Major league asshole." The demos need to be applying pressure at every leval if they hope to gain in 04. Are they scared to speak out? The elections this year clearly showed that the democrats need to take stronger stands and identify some leadership- Are they going to blow this one too?

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

If you ask me, it's the Democrats who are the hypocrites in this case. They jumped all over Trent Lott for some remarks that might be interpreted as racist, but they have no problem with former KKK leader Robert Byrd serving as a senator within their own party. Many of the most prominent segregationists were Democrats: Fulbright, George Wallace, Al Gore Sr., etc. The fact is that they don't give a whit about racism, they will do or say whatever it takes to secure power. If a racist who is a Democrat has power, that's no problem. It's only when the opposition does or says something that allows them to play the "race card" that they get all exercised about it.

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

Never allow the media to blind you so much on an issue that you do not take the time to see the bigger picture. Basically, what one man said was in POOR taste. Yet to say he is the only one who has made this mistake and should be punished, is pure ignorance. If we want to be outraged, then let us at least know the whole story and see that individuals in both parties have done the same thing and then judge them all in the same fashion. Singling one man out, smells of political character assassination.

• mike047
    mike047

It mattered not to me whether Lott stayed or went. Every one of us had said something we regret. Politicians are,granted, under more scrutiny. He apologized.

What does bother me, is that again a small group[sensitivity police] has manipulated a situation to their desired outcome.

Majority "rule" in this country is fiction.

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Neon- both parties have the problem- the issue with the democrats at present is that they are being woosies about all this. THey are running scared. We are talking current politics not history here. At least thats what I am talking. I grew up in racist Alabama under George Wallace and couldnt wait to leave that state. I remember the "For whites Only signs" in laundry matts of all places- sick thinking from a-z. Left Alabama and have dated women of color from all cultures.

Geoerge Wallace and a few of the others you mentioned at least let everyone know very vocaly where they stood. And to my amazement it was the blacks in Alabama who voted the man into office for his last term of governer. And though I do not know you Neon I suspect that you are not a black person. It was the black vote that gave Clinton tow terms, it was the lack of black voters that gave the repubs thier victory this year- and if the democrats are smart they will get the black voters out for 2004. Hypocrite or not the democrats have always been more supportive of poor and minorities in this country.

There are skelitons in all closets- but if you are in politics and you are too scared to drag skelitons out of your oponants closet you are doomed to lose...

• JT
    JT

I hate to say it but you guys just don't get it- here in washington dc it matters not if you are dem or rep- it may matter in the heartland but here they all play both sides of the table it all depends on the way the wind is blowing -

all politics are dirty esp when you play in the big league like these guys do- maybe not so much on the local level where you see them in the supermarket on the weekend - while here most folks only see their senator when it's election time

in the mean time they play and play hard here with your and my money-

trent lott got caught in the cross hairs of the dirty world of politics

here in dc we have almost 100 lobbying firms for every 1 senator- smile and when i was doing consulting work for these guys they are quick to tell you PARTY AFFLIATION MATTERS NOT

they all take the money and run

as one guy stated to me each election the polictains will change but the lobbying firms remain and they just pick up with the next newly elected guy or gal- and that is the real reason that folks on the home front don't really see any change -

Capital Hill is much like wt- the avg jw thinks the GB pray over the bible seeking direction and the picture is that of a group of older wise meeting seating around trying to see who god spirt directs

when in reality most of the writing is done by "regular" of joe blow guys

same here in DC- I was shocked when i was working up on the hill to see WHO IS REALLY BEHIND SO MANY OF THE LAWS THAT SHAPE YOUR LIFE AND MINE

there are kids known as STAFF MEMBERS of the senators and rep and these little 21-25 yr old are drafting, revising and proposing legislature every single day- in some case the senator only sees it just before he walks out on the senate floor- so when he see some old dude like Bird or Kenndy, all his material was put together by some little wet behind the ears kid trying to climb the politcal ladder

while the senator was out at congressional country club with Kennnth Lay and Bernie "mack/Worldcom"

so don;t fall for the dem or the rep are better or worst, they play in the same sewage -

what i will say is this Trent got dogged by his statements and that is the price you pay when you give fodder to your emeny who will then take it and run with it-

even as a black man - to me Lott was just talking off the cuff- it was like he was Roasting the old dude, it was more of a joke to me more than anything else-- BUT in the world of politics EVERY SINGLE WORD can be used to slice you to pcs- that is the nature of the game of politics,

NOTHING IS OFF THE RECORD-

- IT was interesting that the Black Carcus didn't want him to resign and the most vocal republicans did-

simply put the black carcus knew they could USE him esp after his dumb A$$ went on BET and said I SUPPORT AFFIRMITIVE ACTION across the board and would even vote for MLKING day

i could just see some rep falling out of thier seat- thinking - this man is the leader of the rep party and he is going on record as supporting AA across the bd- HIS A$$ HAS GOT TO GO!

for a rep who may not be a strong supporter of AA that must have been like a nightmare watching this man try to save his neck at the expense of the party- and like in wt your indiviual welling being is never put above the org, and the same for Lott his personal BUTT was not worth it to the party

While I don't share all of his views or convictions be they right or wrong--it was sad to see a grown man sell his soul just to keep his job-

and that is what many of the papers on the Capitol Hill are stating in effect

the need to be PC today overshadows any such thing as convictions even if i don't agree--

it has long been recognized that a man who will try to save his own neck (and I aint' mad at him- cause i would have probably done it too if i were a polictian) will do it at the expense of his organization or fellow associates and that is what the republican party saw him him as well as he is useless to them as their spokesman who is on record of supportin AA across teh board-

bottom line is From here on the Hill democrates and republican are pretty much one and the same- esp when it comes to the inner operations-

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

jt I couldnt agree more- my point however was on what the democrats will do by 2004.

• JT
    JT
    my point however was on what the democrats will do by 2004

good issue and great poin

, maxine watters was reported to have said that if he had stayed they would have had a punching bag from now till the election-

can you see the ads running showing trett walking hand and hand with Jesse and Al Sharpton

singing "WE SHALL OVERCOME"

and it was visions like that - that caused the rep party to see the need to set him out to pasture

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

JT, it really doesn't matter (which party) does it, just follow the money.

Guest 77

• borgfree
    borgfree

Mike047, you say:

Majority "rule" in this country is fiction.

so is freedom of speech.

Kelsey007, you say:

Hypocrite or not the democrats have always been more supportive of poor and minorities in this country.

The Democrats have had most of the power in this country for several generations now. If they care so much for the poor and minorities why are the poor and minorities still complaining that there is so much needing to be done for those groups? It looks like the Democrats have failed miserably in helping those groups.

And, why do those groups still vote almost entirely for the ones who only keep telling them how much they care, but, never seem to really help them? Looks like the poor and minorities are still being played for suckers.

Borgfree

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit