Do you say "Merry Christmas"?

by moreisbetter 14 Replies latest jw friends

• moreisbetter
    moreisbetter

If you participate in the Christmas holiday, "Merry Christmas" is a traditonal greeting as well as a response to the same. As a former JW, do you feel strange if you say the words "Merry Christmas"? DO you say them?

I said "Merry Christmas" tonight in response after making a purchase. I said Just that: "Merry Christmas!" NOT: "and You too!" or "and Same to You" or "Happy Holidays!" or the ever appropriate "thank you", in response. I said very clearly "Merry Christmas" I have faded for 8 yrs; given gifts, attended parties, celebrated Yule, & so on. But I never said "Merry Christmas" untill now. I didn't realize I wasn't saying it.

Now, in the scheme of things, saying "Merry Christmas" is minor issue, or trivial to many. It's not really a big issue to me. I don't think about it or fret over it every year. But the prohibition of saying a single phrase & fear that your faith would be questioned, in addition to severe consequences was still in my sub-conscious. It was a tiny, little block in my progress. Now that I've gotten over the hump, I'll say it to as many people as I can before Wed. Why, next year I'll probably spell it out in lights on my front porch!

However, it is one of those little things that seems like everyday life to a non JW. But to a JW or recovering JW, IMO, it's one of those links or part of a composite link in the repressive chain of JW slavery. Breaking them one by one is, I suppose, all part of the bizzare process of de-programming.

Everyone, please have a safe and MERRY CHRISTMAS!! yyyyiiiiiiippppppppeeeeee

more

• FrankyFourVests
    FrankyFourVests

I always get confused and say Happy Christmas! Then I try to say Merry happy... then we look at each other in confusion and I slink away yelling, "Happy Kwanzaa!"

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Happy Hanukah!

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

10 years since i left physically, and even though i say merry christmas alot now, its like everytime i do, theres that little inner something that always makes me reflect for about 5 seconds on the past.. Anyway have a real MERRY CHRISTMAS this year!!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Where I am most people say Happy Holidays because of the Jewish and Muslim workmates.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

only to Muslims and Jews,too.

Edited by - minimus on 20 December 2002 8:14:42

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

I wish all the other drivers out there a Merry Christmas multiple times every day.

Oh, of course, in typical CB Radio Jargon it sometimes is reduced to "Have a Merry Merry and a Happy Happy." But, they know what I mean.

So, everyone....Have a Merry Merry and a Happy Happy! Y'all look good back to the split...I ain't seen no speed cops...Chicken Coops are locked up...Oh, sorry...got carried away.

Coon

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Most of the time, when someone says, "Merry Christmas," I'll respond with, "same to you," or something like that. Occasionally, I'll actually say, "Merry Christmas" to someone. But, yeah, it still feels kinda funny to hear it come out of my own mouth.

Just one more joy of life stolen by the Watchtower.

• blondie
    blondie
    only to Muslims and Jews,too.

No, seriously, to everyone. No creches, just Santa (as if that isn't religious). Trying to be silly, minimus. No even to other Christians, it is "Happy Holidays." Have to be PC.

Blondie

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I started saying Happy Holidays to people the first year before I actually left. The next year it seemed strange to me to really get into the whole Christmas thing, I was still confused about the religious parts of Christmas. I did buy and send out to special friends (worldly peeps) Happy New Year cards......I was rooming at the time with a guy who was really into the whole holiday spirit and he helped me to seperate the religious part and get more into the comerical kids fun and think more in terms of the tree, snowmen, and all the other non religious symbols. That helped. I still don't like Santa though......some of those Santa's scare me!

It was fun that first Christmas celebrating with Peter and all his buds, Christmas dinner done a'la Crystal Cruseship style as Peter was director of entertainment for Crystal Cruseships, he really put on the dog.........I felt so special and really enjoyed the house being all decked out. I helped him hang lights, put up decorations, decorate the tree, it was fun and my first time to do it!

But now for your question.......YES I love saying Merry Christmas to everyone!

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Katie and Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit