Witnessing about Witnesses

by joannadandy 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Ok I'm not nearly as brave as most of you, and normally I don't speak out against witnesses to others, figuring people can make their own conclusions.

Today I had a final in my communication class. I used the Borg in two of the four questions. Heh Heh.

One was all about the "Critical Approach to Organizations" written by Deetz. The question asked us to talk about an organization that we knew had high managerial control and put a "spin" on the information that reached it's workers.

DING DING DING DING...What a better organization to talk about than "THE Organization" I think I kicked some serious ass on that question. Outlining that they have their own bible, only study their own literature, how they say the end of the world is 1975 and then tell all their memembers "pff we never said that, YOU said that!" And how any literature viewed as harmful to the Witness image is labeled Apostate and even reading or owning such literature is an "excommunicating offense"

The other one was about Speech Codes Theory. (I forget the name of who came up with this one-Geertz maybe?) But it's all about how certain groups have different codes and ways of viewing the world. DING DING DING...the Dubs are FULL of rich stuff for comparision on this one too. I went off on labeling, and how there is a pecking order and label for every member of the congregation and the specific duties laid out for each individual. I started off with unbaptized publisher and worked my way up to the "Governing body" Then I laid into the MORAL RULES of the speech code. (No Blood, Holidays, etc) It was good stuff. Oh, and links to others. Those outside the borg are "worldy" and those inside are our "brothers and sisters".

It was good stuff. Too bad only my teacher will be reading it.

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Awesome!!! I think it's so cool how all of us contribute to the "deprogramming process" and the educating of the innocent bystanders in our own unique way!! Way to Go!! If you ever have to give a speech ....you have the subject matter.

• Valis
    Valis

jo, why don't you post it so we could read it?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

Why not ask your teacher to put your findings on the school or colleague notice board .

you are brave as you have taken maybee one of many steps in proclaiming the truth so that others dont fall into the trap,

as many of us have in the past, with no one to warn them.

GOOD ON YOU

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Valis, if I get my essay back (I just wrote it in class, not word processed) and I got a good grade...hahaha, I will post it.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Sounds like you were really able to "vent" in a positive way, and in a different arena.

And,....you never know who might end up reading your material, or what person you might touch by being so open and honest.

Good Job!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit