Is There An Electrician In The House?

by Englishman 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hillbilly, thanks I'll do that, I can see the danger of isolating the plumbing sytem from the ground.

Thanks,

Englishman.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

See, Eman,

I knew you would figure it out. Once you get yours done, you can help the others on your street to fix theres as well. (Ha Ha) Just what you wanted to do, eh

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

FWIW,

Yep, you gotta look into what the building code there requires in terms of grounding. Special consideration needs to be given to the beach-type soil you have, (if I understood that correctly).

I second most of what's been offered, especially about making sure it's done right, i.e. through hiring a competent local "sparks".

May all your shorts be well-grounded.

---Dan

Edited for grammer

Edited by - Dannyboy on 19 December 2002 17:5:23

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

As It was mentioned in one of the replies The ground rod should be copper plated. It is important that the rod be designed for the specific purpose of a ground rod. If not of the proper metals the interaction with different types of dirt can corrode the rod and make it ineffective over time..

The advice of a qualified person is needed.

P.S. Be very careful in removing/disconnecting the existing grounding system. If you have any Item such as an elec. stove or refrig. or anything that has a minor short to ground at this time that is not enough to trip the circuit breaker or fuse, the existing ground wire could be hot. "carrying a current"

This can give quite a shock. I would be inclined to leave the original ground system intact and add the new ground rod etc to the system as per code.

Outoftheorg

Edited by - outoftheorg on 19 December 2002 15:6:48

• JH
    JH

Why not build you own Nuclear power plant in your back yard

• Parliament
    Parliament

It may or may not be problematic. If your copper water pipe runs in direct contact with earth for 10 or more feet out to the meter where the pipe turns to plastic, then there is no problem.

On the other hand if the meter is in the basement or close to the structure where there is less than 10 feet of pipe in direct contact with earth, it could be a problem. It would depend if that were the only electrode serving the structure. For example if the structure were constructed of a metal frame effectively grounded and/or used a concrete-encased electrode there would be no problem since the metal frame and/or concrete-encased electrode would serve as a ground electrode in place of the water pipe.

If the pipe were the only ground electrode for the structure you would have a problem. In that case you should add one or more electrodes as defined by the U.S. NEC 250-52 (A) (4) through (A) (7). Let me know if you need help with that part.

In any case you are still required to bond the water pipe. Even if it is not being used as an electrode.

Edited by - parliament on 20 December 2002 15:44:24

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit