Psych professionals?

by Introspection 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi everybody, I'm wondering if there are any members here who are psychologists, because I am considering changing my major back to psych.. Although I think there can be improvements in the DSM-IV and such, I do want to be of service in this capacity. Of course, I'm also interested in hearing from other members with similar interest. Thanks.

Mark

• larc
    larc

Introspection,

What is your major now and why do you want to leave it?

What are the problems with the DSM and how would you fix them?

If you became a psychologist, what would you want to do?

• mommy
    mommy

Larc,
    Spoken like a "true" pshycologist
    Intro,
    I like Larc want to ask what you are majoring in now. I plan on attending school this year. I want a education! I have already been to school to be a nurse, did that for 4 years, but I took it home with me, and had to walk away for awhile. Alot of times if you get in the proffesion to help people, you end up really drwoning yourself. Not always, but in my experience I did. You realize there are so many out there you can't help and it turns to frustration.
    And alot of times you really don't know what you want to be when you grow up
    Like I said I am returning to school this year, just for an education. I want the basic stuff But I am still leaning toward the medical field. Pshycology does sound interesting, I will let you know.
    wendy

• Introspection
    Introspection

Well first of all Larc, as far as my major I've changed my mind with everything from math, physics, philosophy, and psych - and now I'm back to psych. The problem I see with the DSM is actually not limited to the field. Basically, I think there should be a type of "functional medicine" where the focus is on health rather than disease in the mental health field. It's been said that we have a sick care system rather than one that actually focuses on health care. As for what I would do as a psychologist, I hope to touch peoples lives.. I would do that through "religious" channels, but I'm sure everybody here can appreciate my apprehention in that area, I'm not much for dogma.

Wendy, in addition to the above I want to say that I hear what you're saying regarding the frustration. Of course, I think it's a matter of keeping things in perspective and realizing that you cannot help everyone in the world, but if you can play a part I think it's worth it. I will probably take some humanity classes whatever I decide to do. I'm still not sure about psych at this point, but I know I want to do something to be of service. BTW, I also thought of going into the medical field, specifically naturopathic medicine, but I think that ultimately we do need to educate ourselves in that way as well.. The etymology of the word doctor means teacher, so I think for things to really change for mental and physical health is education to empower the individual.

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Intro,

I am not a psch person - but have been treated by such. Some good, some "ehhh". Welcome - hope you stay around for a while.

Hey wendy,

I have already been to school to be a nurse, did that for 4 years,

What type of schooling did you receive - and level of nursing degree?
    My aunt had a Masters in Psch. Nursing - worked for the government assessing hospitals for licenses, etc.

waiting

• larc
    larc

Introspection,

When I went to college, I was a chemisty major. I thought science was fascinating. Also, it is easier to "sell" the idea of a technical education to JW parents and the congregation. After two years I dropped out for awhile and worked as a lab tech. and pioneered. The pioneering was partialy motivated by a desire to over come my doubts (known as reaction formation). I still liked the intrigue of chemistry, but I hated the nasty, poisonous work environment of a lab in a chemical plant. At this time, I went back to college, took General Psych, and loved it. Was I influenced by the religion? I don't think so. I was more influenced by wanting to understand my mother's mental illness. She was bipolar and had an episode about once every 5 years, from the time I was 10 until I was 25. Another thing that influence me was a fantasy I used have. I would ask myself, what would I do it I had a million dollars and had not practical constraints. I decided that I would still go to college, because I loved learning. I especially loved Psych. People use to tell me that it was quite a sacriice my working full time and going to college. Well, I didn't see it as a sacrifice. It was a lot more fun than pioneering, which I did for about a year. I was also more fun and more valueable than being on a bowling league two nights a week. There's more to the story, but that's a big enough chunk for now.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Waiting, thanks I believe I will stay around for some time. I enjoy being with friends in the true sense of the word.

Larc, psych is interesting, and unfortunately it's been too long for me to talk intelligently about many of the specifics, but it sounds like you're taking your studies seriously which is great. You seem like someone who has a logical mind, and I'm curious whether you've ever investigated philosophy. Anyhow, if you care to chat on a more personal level feel free to email me.

Mark

• jelly
    jelly

Hello Intro,
    I am not a psych major but I do find it interesting for a soft science. I can tell you one thing however if you want to practice as a psychologist you need to have AT LEAST a masters degree preferably a Doctorate, so be prepared for post-grad work. Also if you want to work helping individuals have you thought of a degree in social work?
    Jelly

• Introspection
    Introspection

Hi Jelly, many have mentioned social work as an alternative, I'll definitely look into it, thanks. :)

• larc
    larc

Introspection,

I must have given the impression that I was describing recent events. What I have discussed happened a long time ago. If you go to the thread "Why" page 2, (comments addressed to Wayne) you will see where I am at today. After you have read this, I will come back and further describe my career developement, if you are interested.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit