Informal Witnessing

by jimbob 4 Replies latest jw friends

• jimbob
    jimbob

Well, I was on the road this morning when my wife called me from her cell. She proceeded to tell me she stopped to get coffee when this asian woman kept trying to talk to her in broken english. Since my wife couldn't understand her, she politely nodded and said, "that's nice" and started walking to her car. Well...this lady started following my wife and trying to talk to her in broken english. My wife was starting to get weirded out wondering what the hell does this lady want??? Well as my wife got to her car, this asian woman thrusted an Awake magazine at her..the one on free speech. My wife couldn't believe that this whole time, this woman was trying to witness to her. She said she never understood a thing she said. My wife just took the magazine to get rid of her..(like most people do, and besides, my wife was already late for work) and then this woman proceeded to get into a van that was parked right beside my wife....loaded with a whole group of witnesses just sitting in there. I'm sure they were all taking turns (or drawing short straws..:) as to who gets out.

Now I for one never did any informal witnessing when I was in the borg. I just felt going to someone's home was intrusive enough without having to try and witness to someone when they go to work, or shopping or whatever. Hell, they probably figured they were safe from the witnesses because they weren't at home....WRONG! And then to have someone out there trying to peddle magazines that can't even speak english, and then starts to follow someone out to their vehicle. If it was me, I'd start telling them to get the hell away from me and quit following me...but of course my wife is nicer than me...:) And then it totally cracked up my wife that here was this huge group of witnesses, sitting nice and warm in their van, drinking their coffee, and counting their time while someone else does the dirty work. There were lots of other people there, why didn't more of them get out and witness????? Because nobody wants to do service anymore, they just want to count time!! Thank god my service days are over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• freedom96
    freedom96

In my teenage years, I did a fair amount of witnessing before the regular service time. I always thought it was better than going door to door.

I still get pissed off at people who count time and don't do anything. For the most part, our time was big time door to door pounding at homes, rain or shine.

• freedom96
    freedom96

As far as informal witnessing, just casual talking to someone about the "truth" never happened. That was the last thing I would ever talk about.

• LB
    LB

Informal witnessing wasn't too difficult where I live. Country people are always looking for a reason to chat. Also there are lots of churches in my area and many of their attenders enjoy talking about the bible.

But after leaving I did see what an ass I made out of myself many times.

• bay64me
    bay64me

I remember a massive "encouragment" being made a few years back to do informal witnessing efforts. We even all piled into town one afternoon to do just that, instead of our usual door to door thing.

At about that time there was also a big fuss made of telephone witnessing and all the usual suggestions were made via the platform using demonstrations etc. The same old faithful sisters were used to give out their experiences and "promising, potential bible study" speeches. Yet I recall that in a matter of weeks the whole thing had changed and because of some new law that had been brought in, telephone witnessing had become an absolute no no. No real explainations were given. I remember feeling sorry for those saddos that had got half way through the telephone directory and were facing huge bills with not a single bible study to speak of.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit