JW's and stuff

by JoeSomebody 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• JoeSomebody
    JoeSomebody

I wish to thank you all for the comments. I will respond to all of the accordingly.

Hybridous, you said"I hope you are ready to deal with the fact that that millstone will end up around the neck of WT leadership. Good luck. Don't dismiss the truth just because it's not what you wanted to hear."

Is it a fact that a millstone will end up around the neck of "WT leadership"? Which leadership are you talking about? Jesus? Governing Body? Elders and Servants? Do you know thier heart? David did some very evil things and he was forgiven. If the "WT leadership" has done some evil things, if they are repentant, could it be that they may be forgiven?

What kind of truth may be hard to hear are you talking about?

1975? I was too young to remember 1975, but with talking to my mother and many others who were around back then, people were looking forward to 6000 years of human existance as maybe the end of the system of things. Who would not? Any person who claims to be a Christian looks forward to some sort of trip to heaven/end of the system of things/entering paradise. But, as my mother related, everybody knew that many prophesies had not come to pass.

The 607/1914 controversy? When I was first taught this, I did not care too much about it. It was not something that effected my standing before God. As far as I know, it has been a controversy since 1983. While the FDS may, as the saying goes, serve food at the proper time, it is still up to the individual to research it to make sure that it is truth. I know of many who do not believe this to be a vital point in our Christian faith.

Outoftheorg, I do not believe in luck. When trying to keep ones faith clean of "pagan" influences, what would you say the best way to go about it? I remember when I was a kid a bunch of people who claimed to be born again were all fussing about the protor and gamble stars and moon sign. They had a movement among thier churches (not all went to the same church) to boycott P&G products. Is this the proper way to conduct oneselves in order to maintain congregation purity?

Kenneson, the WT society has stumbled many. In what way? In what way did they stumble you in particlar?

Funchback, I was almost peeing my pants. Well, not really. But you were pretty funny. As for your quote. I have a quote for you.

"Poo Poo is like a box of chocolate. No, really, It is!"

Skeptically Yours, you said, "Under the 'Friends' forum, read the "You will never grow old" thread, started by Elsewhere. Then, dare tell me our wonderfully organized Watchtower Society is "The truth"

This I will do. I have to wonder, though. If one is resurrected, to heaven or earth, will that person grow old?

I happen to be one of those that's just in there because I can't emotionally afford to lose the wonderful relationship I currently have with my parents and some pretty nice fun people I've known all my life and just happen to be witnesses as well. You know what happens to disfellowshipped and/or disassociated people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So the little game must go on for many of us.

So, you are a JW because you do not wish to lose relationships with family and friends. I would advise you to consentrate on your relationship with God and everything else will be added. God will not forget you if you keep Him first.

As for disfellowshipping/disassociation. They are shunned. Some people, in my opinion, may take it a bit far. If they feel they need to shun family members rather than help them, then they are making Christianity and God look rather bad. I have always felt that those who need help should get help. Shunning has its place if done correctly. Everybody needs to make sure that what they are doing brings glory to God.

Granted I like the general theology of the religion, like a little opium for the mind, they have cried 'wolf' one too many times to have my respect anymore. And the 5 weekly meetings are so redundant! I keep hoping that the 'new light' will reveal that we're intelligent adults and that perhaps 3 or even 2 meetings per week is good enough.

I think crying wolf has been done throughout the history of Christianity. I do not have much to say about how bored you are at the meetings. Some people like them. Some people are bored.

Ed. Thank you for your input.

"Jesus may have been directing this warning at the religious leaders who taught their converts their own hypocritical ways. (see Matt 23:15) They were peretrating an evil system. A person who teaches others has a solemn responsibilty (James 3:1) Like physicials, a teacher should keep this ancient oath in mind: "First, do no harm"." Commentary from NIV Life Application Bible on Luke 17:1-3

Looks like others have the same opinion. But then, opinions are just that.

Gary

• agapeministry2
    agapeministry2

Hi Joe/Gary,

You used both names-didn't you?

I didn't know that there were apostates on this forum.??!!!!! So far, I haven't seen where any body is trying to lead people away from God or Jesus~~~Did You see that? Oh!! I guess you mean apostates of the WT. Well, I still haven't read where anybody tore downthe WT other than to mention several of their mistakes. How many times do you think they should predict the end of times before they get it right?

Or how many times do you think they need to make mistakes in telling people what kind of sex they can have causing thousands of divorces and then after all of those divorces say "They can't be the Master of the brothers/sisters faith? Or as far as that goes-how many mistakes do they get to make about any aspect of our lifes before they're held accountable? Like not going to college etc. that the end if just around the corner or forbidding to marry and not having children because the end is near. Did you know that it is against the Bible to do such things? 1Tim4:1-3.

I've been called an apostate and I don't hate the Jehovah's Witnesses and I really don't hate the WT. Do you??

• Smiles
    Smiles

If you were sexually, physically or verbally abused by a JW when you were young, you might feel negatively about JW's and the WT.

Especially if you were disciplined or silenced by the WT and the JW who commited the abuse continued to roam the congregation as a JW in "good standing".

• link
    link

Hi Joe and welcome to the board.

It must take a lot of courage for a JW to post here and I admire you for that. However, I do hope that you stick around to discuss some of the points that you have made. Most JWs who come here just hurl rocks and disappear which does little for the credibility of the Organisation. I would just point out that if you do stick around you will find out what true persecution is all about, there are some heavies here as well as those who wish to seriously debate.

My first question would be about the following:

The 607/1914 controversy? When I was first taught this, I did not care too much about it. It was not something that effected my standing before God. As far as I know, it has been a controversy since 1983. While the FDS may, as the saying goes, serve food at the proper time, it is still up to the individual to research it to make sure that it is truth. I know of many who do not believe this to be a vital point in our Christian faith.

Since the 1914 doctrine is taught by the Organisation to be the basis for the entire JW faith, how can it be something that does not matter? The "Faithful and Discreet Slave" teaching stems from this doctrine and you can only be a JW if you agree to accept the Org as the FDS. Without 1914 the Org does not occupy the position of FDS as it claims because Jesus was not there to select them in 1919, unless you are going against their own teachings.

At this point I will leave the question simple but do hope you will respond.

link

• core
    core

Joe -you wrote:

1975? I was too young to remember 1975, but with talking to my mother and many others who were around back then, people were looking forward to 6000 years of human existance as maybe the end of the system of things. Who would not? Any person who claims to be a Christian looks forward to some sort of trip to heaven/end of the system of things/entering paradise. But, as my mother related, everybody knew that many prophesies had not come to pass".

Sadly I am not too young to remember 1975 - you appear to completely ignore or be unaware of, the tremendous damage inflicted on thousands by the pushing of the 1975 date. At the time from the middle 60s the society did not 'hint' at 1975 they rammed it down our throats as unquestionably correct - you could be disfellowshipped for doubting the dates significance. The membership did not invent 1975 and attach earth shattering significance to it but the GB did, and they had the nerve (many years later in the WT) to walk away and infer the membership had expected too much! If you had the years of experience that many had who lived through that time then you would be able to appreciate the damage this did to the facade of 'inspiration' that the FDS claim.

Ample documentation exists of the role of the FDS in the 1975 disgrace and you can form your own conclusions - for me as one who was there - please do not patronise me and the thousands of others who were burned by the society in this amd many other things.

• SYN
    SYN

Joe, perhaps a year ago I would have tried my damndest to argue with you, but at this point I've come to realize that it's pretty pointless.

You cannot be freed from a prison that you are not aware of the existence of.

Have you not researched your own religion on the Internet? How much exactly do you know about what goes on at the top?

I dare you.

• shera
    shera

No hate comming from me.Why is it,people who are active JW's always think we hate them?There is many angry people here,who have a right to be.They have been hurt by people who are suppose to love them ,that are in the JW's and to me,that is more hateful.Aren't THEY suppose to be loving?

I can't hate people,but I do hate what people can do.Sometimes I feel angry the WTS had me but I must say I don't feel much hate towards them.I no longer believe they have God's Spirit,they are very misleading.What I do think about the GB is, they are "wolves in sheeps' skin."

Edited by - shera on 18 December 2002 9:20:10

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    Some people, in my opinion, may take it a bit far. If they feel they need to shun family members rather than help them, then they are making Christianity and God look rather bad. I have always felt that those who need help should get help. Shunning has its place if done correctly. Everybody needs to make sure that what they are doing brings glory to God.

Ha ha. You can believe whatever you want to believe, but in light of the recent KM article on how to treat df'ed/da'ed people, apparantly your "Some people" includes the gov body of JWs. Boy, that Brother Some sure does believe some wacky stuff.

So you just publicly disagreed with the Faithful and Disctreet Slave(TM) - when should we schedule your judicial committe and pronounce the disfellowshipping?

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Hi Joe!

Welcome to the board. Regarding your Pagan comment, how do you propose that we avoid Paganism in this wicked world?? It seems that everything we take part in is Pagan. Wedding Rings are Pagan, Shaking hands comes from Pagan times, the Days of the week and the Calendar are all Pagan. How do you go about avoiding the days of the week? What should I do about wedding rings? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

• AnotherEscapee
    AnotherEscapee

Hi Joe/Gary

I wouldn't normally post a comment on a site like this, but I read what you had to say and felt moved to do so. Like someone earlier, a while back I wouldn't of been looking at sites like this, but hey ho, life changes and what you see makes you think differently.

Just one thing to say really - try looking at others comments with an open mind not with your JW hat on.

Oh yeah, and thier is spelt their, sorry but I found that irritating.

From a person who cares and worries about her children and friends still imprisoned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit