What is their official explanation for not allowing beards?

by keyser soze 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Honestly, I've always suspected that, because beards make some guys look attractive (and, more importantly, many women find a well-groomed beard attractive on a man), higher-ups in the WT hierarchy resented it, and the rest is history.
  • kramer
    kramer
    There isn't a ban on beards? Unless you have read something I haven't
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    To my knowledge there is no official explanation for not allowing beards. In some cultures JWs do have beards without it being an issue. But in Western lands it is definitely frowned upon. But you'll be hard pressed to find an official statement against it.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

TGNS: thanks for bumpin' the 00DAD thread!

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

A thought, for you guys still stuck in the organization for what ever reason,

grow a beard. You can't get DF, you don't have to prepare for parts for the meetings,

no FS..You will not be ask to do anything.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    i think it in case someone mistakes you for jehovah--who has a full set.
  • Terry
    Terry

It works like this:

You have the right as a free individual to choose to obey the Faithful Slave and you also have a right to think independently about how to personally groom yourself.

I once asked my Circuit Servant why it was okay for black brothers to have a moustache. He replied, "That's different."
    I followed up, "Why is it different?"

He patiently responded, "It just is."

Different costumes in various countries worldwide are often depicted in magazine articles. Do you know why?
    It demonstrates the cough-cough "diversity" of world wide witnesses.
    Diversity is good P.R.

INDIVIDUAL EXPRESSION is not good P.R.

Fascists want everybody the same as they are.

Here is the Chinese Communist Politburo (i.e. Governing Body)

They look and dress just like the Watchtower G.B.

• done4good
    done4good

Terry nailed it.

It is about obedience. Basically, if they can get you to obey on something so banal, they can get you to obey on anything they expect.

d4g

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Another example of policy that cannot be defended scripturally or even by common sense.

In 1988 I was refused opportunity to go on the Platform at a C.A to give an experience I had in F.S whilst wearing a beard, if I did not shave off the beard !

How bloody silly is that ?

The Dress and Grooming policy of the JW religion just marks them out as plain weird, and long may it continue to do so, it must put off far more converts than it makes.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Terry: we were told we need to cut our mustaches in the early 70's.

All the brothers (black) did so except me and another brother, I was

new in the borg. About a year or so the brothers that shaved their mustaches

started sporting them again. I never could figure out what happen. I should

have haul ass then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit