Baptism Age

by JH 21 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Do you feel as if children in the Watchtower Organization get baptized too early in age? When you think that in most places, you have to be at least 18 years old to vote, go in a bar, or have a drivers licence. Being told that it was the most important day of our life, wouldn't it be reasonable to wait to be at least 18 years old before getting baptized. Children 11 or 12 years old getting baptized don't realize what they are getting into. They are only obeying their parents. How old do you think a child should be before getting baptized?

• hybridous
    hybridous

Well, they're trying to folow Jesus, right?! So then be just like him...baptized at 30!!

Seriously, tho...the numbers would suffer if kids had to wait 'til 18. I think that about 1/2 the current number of kids would actually go thru with it, if they had to wait until 18. All that time to think about it...Geez!!

• Mulan
    Mulan

I agree. Follow Jesus example..............30 years old.

I was 9. Where were my parents? What planet?

• CBeMe
    CBeMe

I had to be 21 to legally buy a drink. The same rule should apply to baptism for Jw's and Mormons. Just my opinion.

CBeMe

• Gopher
    Gopher

Being told that it was the most important day of our life, wouldn't it be reasonable to wait to be at least 18 years old before getting baptized.
    Great point JH! You might as well let 11-year-old children get married, since the wedding day is supposedly "less important" (to a JW) than the day you dedicate your life to the Watchtower Jehovah.

My ex-wife's 13-year old daughter was baptized at the tender age of 10. She had no friggin' idea what it was all about. Now the elders of her former congregation are trying to set up a "come back to the organization" meeting later this week with this girl, at the late night time of 9:30pm at the hall across town. (I've advised them to skip the meeting.)

She has a right to a childhood! Go away, Watchtower Society.

Edited by - Gopher on 16 December 2002 21:25:48

• JH
    JH

If a person gets disfellowshipped later in life and can't speak to his children or family, can he sue the watchtower for getting baptized too young, thus not knowing what he got himself into?

• Gopher
    Gopher

If a person gets disfellowshipped later in life and can't speak to his children or family, can he sue the watchtower for getting baptized too young, thus not knowing what he got himself into?
    Nope! The laws of this country protects freedom of religion, even crazy ones. The courts don't want to tread on what they consider dangerous ground, which is infringement of freedom of religion. They don't want to start designating which religions are good to be "brought up in" and which aren't. As harmful as WE know a Watchtower upbringing to be, there's not much that can legally be done, unfortunately. There's no precedent for it in American law that I have heard of, anyhow.

Edited by - Gopher on 16 December 2002 21:24:5

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

Though some churches baptise you as an infant they also don't have the harsh DF policy as does the Watch Tower. Like Mulan, I was baptized at the age of nine and didn't really know what I was doing. Just got dunked to please my mother. However, I don't think it is safe to be baptised as a JW at any age.

Sincerely,

Athanasius

• heathen
    heathen

I was appalled when I noticed that they were baptizing 12 year olds. After all their crap about being mature enough to accept the responsiblity of upholding the name of Jehovah and Jesus . Baptism I've noticed in the bible is a very contreversial topic . In the Acts of Aposles it is stated that baptism is a washing away of sin and It sounds as though the apostle Paul baptized a woman and all her family .Later on the Apostle Peter says that baptism is not the washing away of sin but an appeal to God for a clean conscience. I really can't understand how they could have baptized women back then on account that they didn't have swim suits and women would have had to have been naked in the site of a male who was not their husband. Any mention of young children being baptized seems to not exist after that , Personally I would have to go with a mature person who is old enough to make their own decision .

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

A good question and also if baptism is an oral contract between the individual Jdub member and the WT society, How can a minor enter into a contract to begin with? I am not to sure but in most states don't you have to be at least 18 or 19 to enter into a binding contract ?? Maybe someone else here can enlighten me on this.

Will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit