JWs accept gifts from Santa's Helpers

by blondie 10 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.masslive.com/news/unionnews/index.ssf?/base/living-0/103994100286828.xml

Today's News

Santa's helpers cheer youngsters

More than 600 gifts were collected for the much-appreciated giveaway.

12/15/2002

By MICHAEL McAULIFFE
    Staff writer

SPRINGFIELD - There were two wrapped presents in the bag, and 10-year-old Amanda L. Marsden just could not wait.

"Can we open 'em now?" she asked her mother, Sharlene D.

Within moments, Amanda and her twin sister, Brittany D., had torn off the wrapping of their gifts and found the prize inside: a stuffed toy white tiger with black stripes.

"Wow. Wow!" said mom. "They're big on stuffed animals, too," their mother said.

The Marsdens were among the many families victimized by fire in 2002 who yesterday were recipients in a holiday toy giveaway by the American Red Cross, Pioneer Valley Chapter. The giveaway took place at the chapter offices on Cottage Street, and, in some instances, gifts were delivered to families.

The Marsdens were burned out of their Ludlow home in September, and while they are Jehovah's Witnesses and do not celebrate Christmas, the gifts brought instant joy at the close of a difficult year.

"We're very blessed, very, very blessed," Sharlene Marsden said. "The Red Cross is amazing. It's unbelievable. I never knew that they do as much as they do."

Brittany was, in her own way, equally thankful.

"I love it," she said. "It's really, really cool."

Charlann Griswold, director of Disaster Services for the Red Cross, said more than 600 toys were to be given away, the recipients being infants to teen-agers. The cache included dolls, stuffed animals, board games, puzzles, craft kits, fire trucks and dump trucks.

Novak Financial Group of Springfield, United Parcel Service and Hasbro donated toys. The Red Cross also held five toy drives and individuals gave toys or money. Families who were unable to pick up the gifts set aside for them yesterday will still be able to do so through Thursday.

"This is the best feeling because ... you feel like Santa Claus," Griswold said.

There were several volunteers on the scene yesterday, including Alana L. Lupien, a Holyoke resident who has offered her help to the Red Cross since Sept. 11, 2001, the day of the terrorist attacks.

Lupien, who sorted gifts and stuffed them in bags yesterday, said the toy giveaway meant much more to her than Christmas shopping. "This is more heartwarming, to know you're helping someone out and actually bringing a smile," she said.

Among those who came to pick up toys were Springfield residents Stephanie L. and Earl Larry. The couple has four children, ages 10 to 16, and the family lost everything in a fire in January.

Last year for Christmas there were bicycles, televisions and video cassette recorders. This year, the Larrys decided they could not afford toys for their kids. Stephanie Larry then got the good news from the Red Cross about the giveaway. "They were always there for us," she said.

Colleen L. Burke, who was burned out of her Chicopee home in February, said it did not matter what kind of toys the Red Cross gave her 9-year-old daughter, Tara. The gesture is what mattered. "It lets the kids know that even though they had a hard year, someone's thinking about them," Burke said. Michael McAuliffe can be reached at [email protected]

• Gopher
    Gopher

These grateful JW's acknowledging that the Red Cross is wonderful? Aren't they the evil purveyors of whole blood, pushing transfusions onto the ungodly?

And accepting gifts at x-mas time?

Someone convene a committee immediately!!

Naaah... the elders are too busy chasing after "inactive" JW's right now. They probably don't have time for the Marsdens.

I hope the Marsden kids bring their x-mas, I mean, charitable presents to show to their "friends" at the Kingdom hall.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, it amazing the the JWs will never give to the Red Cross, but have not problem accepting their help. I wonder if the presents were wrapped in Xmas paper?

Blondie

• JohnR
    JohnR

I am shocked (ok maybe not) that they would accept those presents. I would guess the mother justified it by thinking they were just run of the mill gifts not Christmas gifts. Contrast that with my JW brother thinking he should not come over for dinner a few days after Thanksgiving just because we were serving turkey.

John

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

They opened there gifts right away, so it doesn't count for Christmas. Or does it? At any rate, they needed them, so anytime is alright, right? Hope the W.T. agrees.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Just more of the same brain dead views about charity organizations: If they do ANYTHING that the FSD carps about, like blood or abortion counseling, NO JW WILL CONTRIBUTE. My favorite story: I know of a couple that studied abroad, then got here by catholic charities, then resumed studying in the US.

How about that for hypocrisy? NO WAY would they contribute to catholic charities; yet their money was good enough, even though it was raised by B the G, held by B the G and distributed by B the G.

• Utopian_Raindrops
    Utopian_Raindrops

I'm just glad the children got something to make their year better after loosing so much.

I know some JW single Mom's really suffering who wont go get help from Catholic Charities or any other charity of Christendom.

Recently a friend of mine who is a single mom tried to kill herself. She and her daughter are homeless...moving from one family members home to another.Before she lost her apartment I went to an elder and yet there was no help.After she tried to kill herself her daughter came to me even though I am dissed to ask for help.

There is just no real charity in the JW religion. You have to make it part of service and maybe start a department. But the GB says spiritual food 1st and so these single moms and fatherless boys suffer.

I know another single mother who takes care of herself....2 children and her aged mother. No help what so ever and she's about died of loneliness too. Never included in others lives as a real friend. One year I had a garage sale with donations from other sister's for the relief fund but instead I gave her and another single mother sister the money.

I have many more stories plus, I am a single parent too! I have a few of my own.......I also would have never gone to Charities of Christendom or even the Red Cross.

In my case none of my family is JW and so I have gotten by with help from them and of course I do believe Jehovah God and Christ Jesus inspired them to help as they have often sarcastically said,Why dont your JW friends help?.

Maybe the parents who received the aid from The Red Cross are hypocrites but, their children disserve it 100%

If ever I become a JW again I will never hold back from helping Charities or from receiving Charity from so called Christendom....or telling others in need where they can get helped!

After this experience maybe this family will rethink their faith when they see where most of the REAL giving spirit is

Well my 2 cents......No refunds

agape,

Utopian_Raindrops

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Wow...we were never allowed to accept Christmas presents, and the Red Cross was always "evil." *shakes head* They even told us we weren't allowed to go to a thrift shop in the area (we were very very poor) because some of the donations came from AmVets.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Very interesting story, Blondie, thanks for posting it. I, too, am glad that the family accepted the gifts, even though it is a mark of hypocrisy when related to the whole mind set of the JWs. At least this one family got some help!

I recall years ago there was a family in our congregation whose home burned down. They were given a LOT of help by the Salvation Army...out in service one day, the group I was in was gossiping discussing it, and the overall conclusion was that obviously that family didn't know they weren't supposed to accept help from the SA! Note that no one in the group had any ideas for another way for the family to replace the clothes, furniture, food and toys that they had lost...no one commented on how great it was that the SA gave them these things for free...no one offered to step in and help them out...I guess it was more fun talking about what they shouldn't have done rather than what could be done to help them. BTW...the SA not only donated the above items, but also helped the family find another home to rent and helped them get into it. Drat those evil worldly organizations anyway!

Dana

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks, it just struck me as odd to accept good things from the Red Cross, yet not support it monetarily or verbally.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit