"Cheers" question

by reubenfine 14 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

WTS trashes anything and everything because it may have its origin in pagan festivals. (Think about it, everyone but the Hebrews were pagan, so if it started ANYWHERE besides Abraham, Moses & Family then IT HAD PAGAN ORIGINS. DUH!

Of course, Pyramidology DOES NOT have pagan origins, and use of it to determine the 2nd coming of Our Lord Christ Jesus makes good sense.

DOC

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I was at a JW wedding reception where the best man (hmmm, best man--what is the origin of that office?) gave a little speech wishing the couple well. Of course no one clinked glasses, but the spirit was there. They are like little robots. "We can do everything but clink glasses, then god won't be mad" It's stupid. Afterall, the couple just exchanged rings a few hours ago.

NC

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

All I know is post JW I "cheers" all the time!!!

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

It's always amazing to me how the WT can ban anything that's ever been used religiously.

I think I remember going to a church that had benches, so perhaps we should ban them.

I know I've seen them use auditoriums, parking lots, sound systems, music, public speaking, literature, Bibles. Should we ban them all, too?

Does nobody in Brooklyn understand that anything can be misused and that's no reflection on the thing itself? What does drinking to false gods have to do with drinking to friends?

During a birthday celebration, a righteous man's head was chopped off. What's the problem here? Chopping off innocent people's heads? Heavens no! It's the birthday.

I can't count how many scriptures they twist completely out of context and gather something totally contrary to the text. In their minds, Acts shows how Paul was at the beck and call of some first-century governing body called the "Jerusalem Council", he went to them with his tail between his legs to beg for their wisdom, humbly accepted their decisions, and they ordered him around. Anyone with a firing synapse can see that's not what happened at all.

• hotspur
    hotspur

I use the term "Cheers" also as a way of saying thanks (for something). Once, an elder chided me doing that. I queried what was wrong with it.

The response was unbelievable ... "it's how gays identify to other gays in public places". I just asked how he would know that and walked off!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit