Interesting discussion with some JWs

by Nathan 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hooberus
    hooberus

When JWs use their "we don't do __________ or believe in the doctrine of ________ so we must be the true faith" argument

A good response is to discuss other groups and individuals which don't do or believe in x. And ask if they too are "no part of the world" ? Thids breaks down JW mind control.

Be as loving as possible. See the "Opening the Closed Mind" arcticle at

http://www.freeminds.org

Its under the "Watchtower Psychology" heading on the left side of the home page.

Edited by - hooberus on 14 December 2002 16:24:9

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Nathan should not be confused with "Nathan Natas" until I decide if I want to take credit for his accomplishments.

Caveat lector!

• Nathan
    Nathan

It was really great to read all your comments and responses. I've saved them for future ideas to help in discussion with my JW friends. Wow what a friendly and lively board. I don't normally write to these boards but yesterday I felt like I needed a debrief, so thanks all. Some of you picked up that I am not an ex-JW. You are correct. I have read a number of books and articles on the JWs, and particularly studied the mind control elements. I haven't seen JWs for ages so I had almost forgotten about them. Mind control on paper is one thing but I could have sworn I encountered the real thing and so blatently obvious.

I spoke to the JW on the phone after the visit and apologised for some of my cornering them and insinuations in my comments. I was out of line and on reflection I treated them disrespectfully. I felt attacked when they labelled all Christians the types of things they did. But that is no excuse to be disrespectful. The JW offered to take me through a book study of Knowledge (he called it a bible study) but I declined (it is the most loaded book I think I have skimmed through). I told him that I value the Bible (he said he did too) and that it was more important to read the Bible firstly and sometimes other books act like coloured glasses that distort the true picture. He agreed. So next time he comes over, I am planning on asking him to study one of his favourites, the book of Revelation, and hopefully we can exchange ideas respectfully and maybe both learn something. I'm thinking of negotiating a rule and only reading what is in the text - anything outside of the text are simply ideas but no springboard to pushing either of our own doctrines. My intention is to help him to get to know the real Bible and maybe as he studies it see the discrepencies between WT teaching. I have no idea how it will turn out and even if I will get this far, but I think that as a fellow human being whom Christ died for, it is worth a try. Hopefully God's Spirit will guide him closer to Christ. I'll let you guys know how i go.

BTW - Do JWs ever visit these boards any more. Last time I read them (a few years ago) there were lots. I can't recall seeing any JW comments on it.

Also, think that is a great site on listing all those JW quotes. Mate, I couldn't imagine any JW reading all those quotes and still having confidence in the organisation.

Regards

Nathan Beel

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Olympus/4609/JW/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit