Ever been to a "quick-build"?

by WingCommander 33 Replies latest jw friends

• avishai
    avishai

Went to one in Kaui, for all of one day, w/ my best friend & his Dad who is an architect & a building contractor. He got so frustrated & upset w/ all of the incompetence that we did'nt end up going back the next day!! Yippeee!!!!

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

I remember going to a quick remodel in our congregation and there was some silly rule about not being allowed to wear

logo shirts of any kind. Say like you had a shirt that said "Nike" or something, you were not wear it. You had to look

totally generic. I even saw brothers putting masking tape across the logos on their t-shirts- one of the silliest things I have ever

seen. I got really fried over that whole remodel thing, I volunteered to assist and one of the Elders who kept everyones

service time on his home computer said he had to look up my service time first to see if I "qualifed". ONLY active witnesses

were allowed to participate apparently. I did go and help, but really did not enjoy it. It seemed like it was an "elite" of the

congregation activity only. So ridiculous. They have to make a federal case out of absolutely everything, right down to

the "qualified" people who have the high honor at assemblies of "restroom attendant". Oooooooooooh!

Thanks! Vita

• onacruse
    onacruse

Vita: Only us finish carpenters had to worry about the t-shirt logos. All the sheetrockers' and painters' clothes were so gobbled up with overspray that you couldn't tell them from a old piece of plastic masking! Oh, and the framers and roofers...let's not even talk about THEM!

Craig (of the sawdust class)

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Hey Craig - I used to do Framing and Roofing!!! It seemed they already had too many finishing joiners, so my skills weren't needed.

I was active throughout the 80's and into the 90's, in the UK, and literally lost count of the number of builds that I did. It was a great opportunity to meet people, and have a drink, afterwards. Strangely enough, most of the guys (often elders) that I worked with are now ex-JW's, or classed as spiritually weak

After the teams started spliting, around '86/87, I was on the East Anglian team.

The biggest mistake was letting Bethel take over and impose Regional Building Commitees on the whole thing. Before that it was far more fun, and wasn't too injury prone, since there were always a couple of hundred bodies to break your fall.

I once set up a pipe, with a nail in it, just to get the Plumbers going , and you don't wanna know what I used to do to the Sparkies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit