Brain Washing? Mind Control?

by Sirona 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

I have learned the hard way;

You do not have to be a Jehovah Witness to be infected by the disease mentality.

You do not have to believe any of the doctrine not one line of it.

You can be challenged by their best propagandists and win every discussion or argument and still be infected. In fact in my case that was exactly what happened and exactly what they settled for.

Judging others and arguing or debating becomes addictive when you have to win. You have to be right. It's nothing less than foolish pride. It makes you impossible to be a friend; No one likes to be put down.

What I am trying to say is that maybe it is not just "what" the Jehovah Witnesses believe instead it is "how" they choose to believe and what they do when they present it.

Controling others is loosing game.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    I personally think that my thought processes were interfered with when I was JW. I sometimes wonder whether it was simply the lack of time or the pressure I was under. I just didn't THINK about things. No critical analysis of what someone was telling me for a starter.

There is a good argument against the Brainwashing theory here

That is one of many mind control techniques used by the JW religion. Keeping you very busy in routine activities so that you have no time to critical analysize what is being said.

Brainwashing is a myth. Mind control is more subtle than that. The Witnesses' mind control techniques are pretty standard for a bible-based "cult". Cult is a misnomer. The term High Control Group is more accurate, and the Witnesses are definitely a HIgh Control Group.

I wrote something on this a few years ago. http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/2260/jw/jwHcg.html

Richard

Edited by - Skeptic on 12 December 2002 13:1:39

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

This "mind-control" "brain-washing" business is a myth perpetrated by those who refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions. It's propaganda instituted by the anti-cult movement which has repeatedly been demonstrated to be false. Give it up and stand on your own two feet.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Pork Chop,

This "mind-control" "brain-washing" business is a myth perpetrated by those who refuse to accept responsibility for their own actions. It's propaganda instituted by the anti-cult movement which has repeatedly been demonstrated to be false. Give it up and stand on your own two feet.

I have never heard that any of it has been proven false, let alone repeatedly. I am very interested in hearing your evidence.

Richard

• Gig
    Gig

Any of you ever hear of the BITE model? Obviously the WT is determined to control witness behavior (B) for their own survival. Any slack in this effort allows a JW to discover critical analysis. For the most part the WT does this by controlling information (I), you all know they are required to read and study the WT and Awake mags, and any other WT pub as if they were the word of God, and they are forbidden to read anything else. This much info control makes it far easier, actually even possible to control thoughts (T), and the easiest way to control thoughts is with emotion (E). You've read the articles, everybody wants to do good and be good, and the WT only allows ONE way, THEIR way, or else you're out of God's favor...very emotional stuff. And what better way to maintain unity, kick anyone out who disagrees.

I agree that brain washing is too strong of a term, it's not defined well enough to fit...just like cult. High Control group dynamics, absolutely. The Bible speaks in terms of true faith causes action, yes works. This is the same type thing, they HAVE to believe and have faith in the WT or they would never do all that nonsense in the name of Jehovah.

Gig

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

Gig: It would follow that the journey out of the org. begins when the WT loses control of your BITE interesting!

• James2300
    James2300

This is an interesting thread. I often wonder to what extent I was controlled and to what extent I was doing things out of free will. I'm sure a lot more research could be done on this subject. Although I think the term "brainwashing" is too harsh and not very descriptive, thought control does exist. For example, have you ever heard these phrases?:

You shouldn't feel that way.

That's not correct thinking.

We should avoid independent thinking.

That's not the right attitude to have.

I'm sure you can think of better worded or clearer examples. The point is that often we are told straight out what to think or feel. One Bethel elder shared an article with me that said that you can't have a feeling without first having a thought. The idea is that if you are feeling discouraged, for example, then your thinking needs "re-adjusting." Nevermind that feeling discouraged when you are under a very busy schedule, working hard, living in poverty (or at least poorly), and getting little in return is perfectly natural. The assumption is that you shouldn't feel discouraged (because it's a "negative" emotion) and thus your thinking is wrong. So, you change your perceptions and tell yourself that you are really well off. Once you believe that, you begin to feel contented and joyful about your situation.

Of course, there are other forms of control too:

your environment (ie, seperate from the world, esp at bethel)

peer pressure

conditioning (carrots/sticks based on your behavior)

Personally, I think the last one is one of the most effective. To get the attention that comes with little rewards like a part on the service meeting, a responsibility at bethel or in the congregation, recognition from a CO, or a pat on the back we would conform ourselves to meet their expectations. A bethelite that sat at Milton Henschel's table each morning for breakfast told me that only when he wore a tie to the table would M. H. greet him. No tie, no greeting. That's a very small thing, but it's a great example of the kind of conditioning that goes on.

Next, manipulative wording in the literature.

I bet a great study could be done of manipulation techniques employed in WT literature. The ones I'm aware of are code words, logical fallacies, and using questions deceptively. I think they use the last one masterfully. Instead of asking "Why serve God?," they ask "What Does God Require of Us?." Instead of "Should we be obey the org.?," they ask, "How does Loyalty to the Brotherhood Show our Loyalty to God.?" Also, they constantly ask us to "show" or "demonstrate" something, whether it is love, loyalty, kindness, or whatever. It is not enought to have an emotion, they say, we must show it.

Finally, meetings to indoctrinate

If you think spending a couple of hours a week at meetings where a carefully worded article is studied in a carefully controlled program, in which you are asked questions to which you are supposed to respond by parroting the information in the literature, and that that is not designed to control your thinking, then think again! The facts that questions are not permitted from the audience, that there is no free discussion time, that "wrong" answers are quickly corrected, that multiple right answers are not allowed, that the routine of it is invariable, that the elevation of the stage, the use of a podium, the often harsh lighting of a KH, the use of several ushers, the fact that elders sit in strategic places in the KH (ie, in front, or next to the aisle, or standing in the back), the dress code, the insistence on punctuality, the use of hand raising (rather than freely shouting answers out) and waiting to be called, lots of time reading text that could have been read at home, the use of only one Bible translation, the forbiddence of using printouts of Bible scriptures because they don't look like real Bibles, speakers trained to speak in a restrained, smooth cadence (through the TMS), literature that has been proofread so many times to avoid a single typo, mechanical error, or grammatical error, so that it seems carefully researched and authoritative, and the use of literature from only one source which is deemed virtually infallible show that this is not an academic study, but a propaganda system.

So, that's my take. I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks. Do you agree/disagree, have better examples, different ideas, etc?

James

• James2300
    James2300

Personal experience: I only really began to examine the jw's independently about six months after I switched to a Spanish congregation. I was just learning Spanish and so I could not understand much of the program at the meetings for the first few months. Once I was able to mostly or fully understand the meetings, I feel that I was much quicker to dismiss the ideas contained in a Spanish-language talk than an English one. At the time, I chocked it up to the English talks I heard at Bethel being better prepared than the Spanish ones in the congregation.

My hypothesis: The lack of constant reinforcement at the meetings may have allowed me to think more independently than before. This might be similar to what happens when people simply stop going to meetings. Also, once I became proficient in Spanish the "code words" did not have the same significance as their English counterparts to me. That led me to evaluate more statements based on the ideas they contained than a conditioned response.

Limitations: Well, I know that just because one thing followed the other doesn't prove that one causedthe other. Also, the "code word" idea is open to debate. But, it's an intriguing hypotheses, don't you think?

Has any one else had a similar experience?

• Sirona
    Sirona

James,

Thank you for two excellent posts! I couldn't agree more.

Very interesting points about the code words. Also, have you heard witnesses talking to each other recently? I've been shocked when I've heard two witnesses talking because since I left I haven't heard many of the phrases they use like "the truth", "theocracy", "bad association", "new light", "worldly", "losing priveleges", etc. I think this use of different language is a way of putting extra distance between witnesses and non-witnesses.

Something I studied in psychology...can't remember the exact name for it now...constructionism? basically says that we can construct a reality around ourselves - often BY what we say. The more we talk about something the more that affects us (and those listening to us) so that what we talk about a lot comes to pass or if it doesn't, it is believed or becomes popular. Sort of like a large group of people convincingly talking about flying pigs existing. Pretty soon you'd get a following for the "flying pig movement" or whatever. LOL. The witnesses talk about the watchtower doctrines all the time. They reinforce it within their own minds all the time until they cannot accept any possibility that it isn't true.

Then there is the part where the Watchtower doctrine seems to give a wonderful solution to all life's problems. I remember feeling relief that now I knew what it was all about. (doh!)

I think your example of the watchtower study, James, was bang on target. The memorial to me is such a clear demonstration that JWs are cultish. The last one I attended was basically like being at the theatre....watching the performance of people being extra nice to the newcomers and being extra respectful during the meeting. No feeling - just acting. "Oh we've missed you!" - coming from people who don't give a damn about me from one day to the next.

My JW friend is a lovely person, but she admits that she's going through the motions of it most of the time. The status of the men in the congregation is a constant gripe for the wives - its ALL FOR SHOW. If people could get away with pretending they're going on the ministry, they will! If they didn't have to show their face at every meeting, they wouldn't! The whole structure for the males is unbelievable - yet they say there is no hierarchy like in the churches - when there is.

I was not thinking clearly when I was JW thats for sure.

Sirona

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Another huge piece of this is how they control people through fear. People are taught to fear anything non-JW. And there are extreme sanctions for leaving. In most religions an individual has the freedom to walk away but not in HCGs. In a HCG one is never free to walk away without penalty. The loss of family and friends is held over a person. While "in" there is the threat of censure through judicial committees. Individuals are not only told to be fearful of God but of each other (must report "sin" to the elders) and not only of what YOU do but also fear of what you might make someone else do (stumbling them resulting in blood-guilt)

People are taught not only to fear behaving in a wrong way but even taught to fear their own thoughts which is one of the reasons they give up thinking.

Edited by - Lady Lee on 13 December 2002 7:7:33

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit