Another Melbourne Bomb Scare!

by Beck_Melbourne 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

The Rialto Building located in the City Business District of Melbourne has had another bomb threat. All those who work for the law firm we work with who are located in that building, have been given the day off. The authorities are treating the threat as a hoax....but to be on the safe side, some are taking precautions. The staff that choose to remain, do so at their own risk.

I don't work in the Rialto, but I can see the building from my office window. As at 12 noon Melbourne time, it is still standing.

So what a predicament to be in...lets hope it is just a hoax...but with the current climate, nothing would surprise me.

I still think about the Sept 11 victims and our Oct 12 Bali victims with saddness.

Lets hope 2003 brings us no surprises.

~Beck~ of the had enough of destruction class

• shera
    shera

You be careful.....please

I'm sure you are safe and snug tho

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Thank you Shera...I am snug as can be...my building is not as grandiose as the Rialto...but my own personal safety is not at risk.

There are several tall buildings that surround the Rialto...I can see them from where I sit also...so far all is well. Lets hope it stays that way...I don't like the bad things that happen around the world...least of all outside my window.

~Beck~

• shera
    shera

Is it terriost(sp...) threats? Meaning from radical Muslims?

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I'm not sure on the nature of the origin of the threat. We recently had a bomb threat in our own building, which they treated seriously. It turned out to be a hoax.

But the Rialto was a target back in 2001 by the same crowd that did the Sept 11 bombings. Also, with the recent attack in Bali, many Australians were killed...and the Australian government are taking the attack personal, especially with their public support for Pres Bush's fight against worldwide terrorism.

So the threat being terrorist based has not been ruled out. I guess the authorities won't say if they suspect this is the case...there have been a large number of new anti-terrorist procedures introduced into the fire and police services recently...in the likely event something does happen.

Tis critical times, hard to deal with, as my mother would say.

~Beck~

Edited by - Beck_Melbourne on 11 December 2002 20:27:2

• shera
    shera

Gawd,must be scary living around that.I remember when I watched the 9-11 video on T.V.It was horrible,I cried much!

Take care Beck.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

Thank you Shera. I cried too.

You take care also.

~Beck~

• Zep
    Zep

Shera:

"Is it terriost(sp...) threats? Meaning from radical Muslims?"

Nah, its just school kids and drunks.

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne
    Nah, its just school kids and drunks.

You're probably right...who knows...bored kids on school holidays.

~Beck~

• shera
    shera

Kids that need a spanking on the bottoms!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit