11-02 KM: "Order 1950-9 Bound Volumes!"

by AMNESIAN 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Reproduced from the November, 2002 US KM - (Apologies if this was covered previously. If it was, I missed it.) I found it puzzling:

Very Good Reading!
    Would you not agree that the following titles of past Watchtower articles sound like very good reading?
    "God Knows and Protects His Own"
    "Progress Toward Taming the Tongue"
    "When Christianity Went Underground"
    "Preaching Effectively at the Doors"
    "Answering the Question, Are You Saved?"
    These articles and scores of others appeared in The Watchtower during the years 1951 and 1952. Are they too old for us to benefit from them now? Far from it! You can still obtain Watchtower bound volumes in English for the years 1951 and 1952. (Some English bound volumes for the years 1953 through 1959 are also available.) Any publishers who desire these Watchtower bound volumes may now request them through the congregation literature servant.
    The Theocratic Ministry School Overseer should check to see if any bound volumes are missing from the Kingdom Hall library and order accordingly.

--------

I continue to wonder why nothing, but nothing, is ever openly and honestly explained up front unless there is their own self-serving need to get a particular spin on a matter into circulation right out of the box. I mean, to even suggest that these hoary subjects---written in Watchtowers peddled during the Eisenhower administration!---could possibly be "must-reads" for anyone in this organization today is just plain ludicrous and dishonest.

Anyone know the reason the Society is pushing half-century old literature? And hoping to tantalize with subject articles that are and have been recycled in The Watchtower issues each and every year since the '50s? I could guess fire sale or preparing for spring cleaning, but this stuff is awfully old and, in offering it, unless it's been doctored, they run the risk that some newer converts---the only ones, conceivably, likely to take the bait---might run across some very incriminating "old light." (Now the Awake would be a different story. "Our Friend, Cellophane Tape!" has timeless appeal.)

Would not appear to be the wisest move on "the slave's" part.

AMNESIAN -

Edited by - AMNESIAN on 11 December 2002 15:55:5

• blondie
    blondie

Hi, Amnesian. Some years back the WTS pushed everyone to order bound volumes to complete their personal and KH libraries. They did it by decades. I think these are taking up space and rather than move them in any upcoming building project at Walkill, they want to clear the deck.

Blondie

• joenobody
    joenobody

I find it pretty curious that they would want people to own the old bounds volumes. There's too much "incriminating" evidence in them. I would love to see in these reprints how much stuff they actually end up revising (ie. like some date changes etc.)

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN
    I think these are taking up space and rather than move them in any upcoming building project at Walkill, they want to clear the deck

Yes, Blondie, that would be my guess, too. I just wonder when this strategy will backfire on them if someone decides to, not just order, but to actually read some of the ancient stuff. I guess, though, the Society has little fear of that happening since they are undoubtedly aware that very few JWs even read the current literature.

AMNESIAN

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

AMNESIAN: ha ha too true. You can't get a brain dead witless to open a new mag - much less pick up a 1950! bound volume and actually read it!!

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

So lemme get this straight... neither the 1950 nor 1960 Watchtowers contained any useful articles, only the 1951, 1952 and SOME from 53-59?

If they have, say, 1,000 spare 1954 bound volumes hanging around, is that spiritual banquet available only 1,000 times? Or is it valuable enough that they would go through the cost of a reprint to lovingly provide this proper food [a half-century late] if 2,000 publishers ordered it?

Hucksterism at its finest

Hmmm

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

Well when we got the old bound volumes they went right in the personal library and began their dust collecting careers.

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

Hmmm:

If they have, say, 1,000 spare 1954 bound volumes hanging around, is that spiritual banquet available only 1,000 times? Or is it valuable enough that they would go through the cost of a reprint to lovingly provide this proper food [a half-century late] if 2,000 publishers ordered it?

Precisely. This is what I'm talking about.

If this announcement was being motivated by the genuine belief that these particular articles, though old, could be beneficial to JWs today, they would be required (or, at least, suggested) reading (or re-reading!) for everyone, including those who already have the volumes in their libraries. Notice there is not even a Society-brand "suggestion" that those who already are in posession of these volumes dig out this "very good reading" and have at it.

I got no problem if they need to unload this stuff, but the way they brazenly manipulate the flock makes one suspect that nothing is or ever has been truly as they['ve] present[ed] it.

AMNESIAN

• waiting
    waiting

lol.......I can remember when they announced for us to buy the older bound volumes "to complete your own, personal, theocratic library." Remember "personal study?"

Yeah right. Even back then, I wasn't braindead enough to not realize that they wanted to unload these old books - at current prices. I suspect a lot of jw's know they're being scammed on this one - it's been going on since Russell, I'm guessing.

I suspect that back in 1950, the WT was pushing all the half century old books onto the current publishers - at current prices.

A company's GOT to move their inventory. And the WT's a company.

waiting

• larc
    larc

AMNESIAN, I don't like you, and I never will. Your attack on Amazing was awful. I don't know how you can live with yourself. Yes, you do have a good command of the language, but your use of it is evil, pure evil. Merry Christmas dear heathon! Nighty, night. Don't let the bed bugs bight, shit head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit