Quality Thinking - Warning: Long Post Ahead

by Viviane 82 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    • I understand and agree in theory. The problem again is that in practice we are dealing with humans. And the fact is that, with us, it just ain't that easy because of the way we are made.

Individuals do as they want.

Those who want to minimize potential of falling victim to confirmation bias choose as a practice to look for evidence and let that evidence lead to whatever conclusion it leads to.

Those who want to look for evidence to support a preferential conclusion will do that, and they will find themselves hobbled by their practice of confirmation bias.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Purposely falling victim to confirmation bias isn't quality thinking.
  • andrekish
    andrekish

A very small side question.

I wonder how many rational, logical folk would refuse to use a OuiJa board?

• cofty
    cofty
    I am enquiring of everyone with a clear thinking mind whether it would be foolish of me, who witnesses these things, to rule out entirely what the old guys. potential prophets if I may use the term, said - andrekish

No it would not be foolish at all.

I wonder how many rational, logical folk would refuse to use a OuiJa board?

It is a harmless toy...

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Is it true that Qu-thinking is standard in science, but in daily life intuition and selective awareness result of experience are the preferred and proofed methods which our brain uses to confront reality and deal with decisions ? Qu-thinking is much more stressfull and complicated,

Does anyone fall in love by qu-th?

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Thank you Viviane , me thinking about QT abilities in writing my comments

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Cool.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks Viv, for a great O.P and a great Thread.

I will treasure one phrase particularly from your O.P and use it on J.W's whenever in discussion with them, it is this :

" If you haven't bothered to learn about evolution, biology, etc., then your opinion on the truth of evolution doesn't carry any weight."

This can be used too, with reference to many areas of knowledge, and what may come as a surprise to JW's, to learning about the Bible, they know next to nothing about it in reality.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

Viviane - "If you haven't bothered to learn about evolution, biology, etc., then your opinion on the truth of evolution doesn't carry any weight."

I second Phizzy as well.

This is one of the best lines yet. Nicely done.

It is a good reminder to continue to keep up with our understanding of science, technology, society, politics, etc. We should either have a good understanding of the arguments or simply say "I don't know".

• DJS
    DJS

Phiz, Strong and Viv,

Ditto. The only thing I would add is that if the only thing you've bothered to learn about evolution, biology, etc. does nothing but confirm your biases, then your opinions on the truths of these subjects also don't carry any weight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit