Taken

by heathen 18 Replies latest social entertainment

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

Really cool mini series. I've been watching. I hope I'm not disappointed in how it ends.

• heathen
    heathen

you are so right it was 1938. the day before halloween.there are stories of farmers shooting there own silos cause they thought it was a UFO. It's just unbelievable the panick that a radio show can cause and how people can believe just about anything and everything is a UFO. Who needs all the high tech computer animation ?The imagination can cripple people with fear.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

heathen,

I think that since programs like project blue book came up with no solid evidence that there aren't any ufos

Blue Book wasn't supposed to come up with proof. The whole idea was to debunk them.

In August, 1953, UFO's buzzed Washington DC, and the lid of censorship came down hard. The Robertson Panel met at the CIA that year. Noting how people reacted to the sightings, and how communications were jammed, it was decided to take measures to make people reporting them look like idiots. A PR campaign was discussed where Disney figures would be used in the effort, creating, as one commentator put it "...images of Mickey mouse in a space suit, sternly lecturing us on our obsession with UFO's." The concern (a real one) was that an enemy could induce a panic, the public would clog communications channels, and a serious problem would be created. Military traffic would be slowed and there'd be a huge number of false/exaggerated reports to screen. Maybe they were hysteria, maybe UFO's, maybe enemy aircraft.

In 1948 Blue Book sent an "Estimate of the Situation" to the Pentagon. The conclusion was the UFO's were interplanetary. Why? Since they weren't ours and apparently they weren't Russia's, that left only one other explanation. The reaction? Blue Book was shut down, its people reassigned, and as Capt. Edward Ruppelt put it in his book, "The Report on Unidentified Flying Objects:" whereas before the answer by BB to a question of "What did these people see?" was a "'Gee, it might have been a balloon but we just don't know.' Now, it got a quick, snappy 'It was a balloon,' and feathers were stuck in caps from ATIC all the way up to the Pentagon.' "

Under Air Force regulations a sighting couldn't be explained as anything other than a conventional object. If it couldn't be explained that way then they went mum.

Besides, considering the panic in 1938, supose you knew UFO's were intelligently guided craft. And you figured what the worldwide reaction would be--a repeat of America's. You considered the other consequences--the cultural shock, economic disruption, the financial/banking systems collapsing, the panic interfering with food prduction, commerce, shipping, etc. What would you do? Me, I'd hide it but gradually prepare the world for that knowledge, figuring it would come out someday anyway, but under more controlled circumstances.

I grant the possibility that there is life elsewhere. If we arose via evolution, then for someone to say it only happened here on Earth, they're going to have to explain why the set of physical processes that led to life here didn't happen elsewhere as well. After all, we've confirmed the existence of many "extrasolar" planets circling around other stars. Since planet-making processes occured elsewhere, why couldn't life-creating ones happen elsewhere as well?

If we arose via a Creator, after seeing how we turned out, maybe you'd want to try again somewhere else to prove you could really do it right? (What we gave God.)

Obviously an interesting topic.

• blondie
    blondie

Well, I saw part 10. A door closes, but does a window open? I liked it very much including the character development, the balanced use of special effects, and how no one was one dimensional, all good or all bad. I anticipate a second miniseries.

Blondie

• heathen
    heathen

Kingpawn- A bunch of speculation is not evidence . I don't care what anyone claims to have seen . They proved even the hokey alien autopsy film to be a fraud . Evidence is something tangible something that can be examined in a laboratory with scientific scrutiny . With all the countless sightings we have nothing to show for it . I used to love that show the project bluebook and they never claimed to have such evidence. Even the crop circles have lost their mystique due to skeptics such as I . It seems only the skeptics are interested in the facts and not fairy tales. Blondie- I agree it kept you coming back for more but the end was a little bit of a let down . I can't see how they can make another miniseries with that ending .I mean we know what the aliens wanted and it wasn't anything that would make further exploration into the subject interesting.

• neyank
    neyank

Like science fiction?

Zetatalk.com

This site will put your imagination to the test.

neyank

• heathen
    heathen

neyank- I am a huge sci-fi fan .right now i am reading Arthur C. Clarke the rama series of which doesn't really suit my taste .It seemed like he had a really good idea and then got caught up in trying to display his technical knowledge rather than creating characters and an exciting story .I can recommend some Stephen King novels that are more my taste Dream Catcher was there all the way and Tommy knockers was pretty good. Thanks for the link . I am always looking for new sites that pique my interest.

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

heathen--

Kingpawn- A bunch of speculation is not evidence .

What would satisfy you? A UFO lands on your front lawn, and the crew allows you to poke around it inside to your heart's content? If you demand absolute proof of something, in a bit I'll list several things that you accept without question but have never seen.

I don't care what anyone claims to have seen .

When airline pilots, military personnel, police officers-- people whose word would be taken automatically when testifying about anything else --relate stories of seeing, hearing, or experiencing strange things during UFO encounters, I really think their testimony should be given a lot of credibility. Or did they just happen to be hallucinating at that exact same time?

They proved even the hokey alien autopsy film to be a fraud .

Well yeah. I mean when the guy who produced it is being interviewed, and he's grinning from ear to ear, the only thing I can think he's thinking is, "Boy, the money I'll make from people buying this crap!"

Evidence is something tangible something that can be examined in a laboratory with scientific scrutiny .

You know for a fact that had you used (and explained) a flashlight in Salem Massachusetts around 1691 you'd've been burned as a witch. The reality of that physical phenomena hadn't been discovered yet, but they would've said only a practicer of the Black Arts could make a wand glow like that. Could you have gotten Edison to believe the reality of the atomic bomb? How could you have "proven" these to their satifaction?

You believe in wind, magnetism, electricity, gravity, and centrifugal force. No one has ever seen these things. They have seen and/or felt the effects of them, but never the things themselves. Ipso facto they don't exist.

With all the countless sightings we have nothing to show for it .

We have documented accounts of the aftereffects on people, our mechanical devices, and animals from interacting with UFO's. Medical complications from what appear to be exposures to radiation; puncture wounds (sometimes under clothes when the clothes themselves haven't been ripped; burns; notches in trees from collisions between flying craft and trees; animals disturbed to violence by the flight of a UFO (Incident at Exeter, by John Fuller), and so on.

For example: one effect of UFO's on cars has been that when the two are close to each other, the car's electrical system fails. Most scientists wrote it off as hooey. Dr. James Campbell was able to create conditions in the laboratory that duplicated the effect precisely. How? By ionizing the air (giving it an electrical charge).

Electrical current will always follow the path of least resistance. The insulating ability of air helps make sure the current from the battery goes through the system as needed to start the car and keep it running. But ionizing the air reduces that resistance, allowing the current to go to ground and bypass the starter, etc. So if UFO's exist, and this often described effect does occur, science can give a rational explanation as to why. His experiments are described in Phenomena: Forty Years of Flying Saucers, a collection of essays on the subject by both believers and skeptics.

I used to love that show the project bluebook and they never claimed to have such evidence.

Blue Book was the effing government! You expect them (let alone the show based on BB) to cop to having proof? George Bush won't even do that yet he seems determined to believe Iraq poses a threat to us, but he won't say why!

It seems only the skeptics are interested in the facts and not fairy tales.

Someone who believes in, say, evolution rather than creation...aren't they putting just as much faith in the idea that somehow, elements on Earth somehow combined to form the building blocks of primitive life, as a creationist does in the idea of intelligent design of life? Yet from each person's POV, the other person is a skeptic to what each sees as the "obvious truth."

Besides, does it hurt a person to speculate on these things? Unless someone has become obsessed, or has a major personality change, or something like that, who's hurt by it? A waste of time? Maybe, but the same could possibly be said about television watching.

Rather than hijack the thread even more, I'll stop after your response. We won't change each other's minds, and before this turns into a flame war, can we have a truce? Agree to disagree and all that?

Taken sounds like an interesting show. Kinda makes me wish I'd seen the opening episodes now. So now, BTTT.

• heathen
    heathen

Kingpawn- There is no reason to start a flame war over the topic. Yes it would take a UFO landing on my front lawn and extra terrestrials inviting me in to examine it for me to believe in them. I am willing to say there must be some other explaination for the phenomena that some prestigious people claim are UFO's . Wind ,gravity ,electricity ,etc. can all be proven in a laboratory.Sometimes my car stalls as well and it is because of something called a battery or alternator. I am sure there are other explainations for the other things you have described , in short you have not provided any more evidence than I have already discarded as urban legend. I do happen to be a creationist for reasons of my own .I don't see what those comparisons have to do with the subject. Thanks for your replies .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit