Melbourne's first ex-jw meet up a success!

by Beck_Melbourne 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

I don't know how everyone else's meetups have been going, but here in Melbourne we had our first official meetup on Saturday night.

The meetup situation is quite different to meeting people off a discussion board such as this...as you have already formed a friendship or become familiar online...so this was a new experience for me.

In attendance we had 6 ex-dubs, 3 guys, 3 gals, as well as 2 non-dub partners. At the first venue we found it hard to talk and hear each other...so we moved on to a quieter venue where we all shared pizza and drinks and were able to talk across the table with each other. It was very relaxed and we soon found that once we had exchanged our personal stories of our level of involvement with the WT and our our exit experiences...we could then enquire as to how each individual was dealing or coping with their new-found freedom. Three of us had very similar exit stories which I found interesting.

Overall it was a great night...with lots of laughter and understanding smiles...and there is a good chance the next meet up will be at one of the attendee's homes.

So if you're contemplating on going to a meet up...I encourage you to do so. It is a good way to meet others who just simply 'understand'.

There were a few we missed and hope to see at the next one, Debz, Refiners, Hellraiser, Marilyn and elderrepents. But meeting Wizard, Jack and Nick was awesome as well as seeing Chezza (and hubby) and Downunder again....we also did a phone link up with Prisca.

Looking forward to the next one.

~Beck~

• kelpie
    kelpie

*Feels left out *

hey beck, I will be about 2 hours from Melbourne next week....

Me and my man are going down to Swans Reach for a weeks holiday

• onacruse
    onacruse

Beck, glad you enjoyed it (though not surprised)! We've had five Meetups here in Portland, OR, USA. Seven of us at the 1st, eight of us at the 2nd, and then I missed two Had another yesterday, and there were three of us (songmistress, bikerchic, and me).

It really is good to meet folks from this area. It's a small world.

But not a lonely one!

Craig

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

WOW Marylin (melbournes most wanted most kick-ass apostate) was there! WOW

goodonyas unclebruce

pst: i'll head down and provide the meat next time

• Prisca
    Prisca

Well, I turned up at the meet-up location at the set time, but no one turned up!

It probably didn't help that the location wasn't open at the time either!

Anyway, Beck calling me from the Melbourne meet-up helped make up for it. It was great to say hello to everyone there.

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Well Beck,

where were the directions....you never e-mailed me where you were meeting...or was the Holy Spirit supposed to tell me?
    lol
    glad you had a good time

and by the way i saw a pic of downunder in the pics thread...and she is a cutey...:)

Byeeeeee

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well Im real glad you had a great time (hmmp). Of course SOME OF US are terribly important apostates with SERIOUS apostate work to do like posting VERY IMPORTANT apostate threads on the web, course, Im not one of those, but, well some of us are.

Myself I was mopping, washing and ironing the kiddies daks for the week and, well to tell the truth I was just too buggered to attend. Still, I'll try to do better next time.

I feel like I missed out!!! WAHHHHH.

• Debz
    Debz

You did refiner as I did....a double booking.....Ok it was a Buddy Holly Tribute night....guess that come before anything (only coz I didn`t pay for it..lololol)....Planning on the next one!

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Ah Debs so nice to see joo again.

Yeah, I guess priorities do have to be put into place.

Buddy Holly review or Meet a dozen insane drunken Dubs.

Not really a contest is it??

I used to hate Buddy Holly until I saw the stage play called, (oddly enuff) BUDDY! After that I decided buddy was pretty cool.

(Edited to add the dozen drunken dubs woulda won hands down!!!!)

Edited by - refiners fire on 9 December 2002 2:19:5

• Debz
    Debz

Refiner I was sooo upset not a single drunk that was out to impress me.....they actually were a quite mob...at the local sports club....and the crew I went with were very reserved folk.....I even limited myself to one red for the night!!!! I also was not keen on Buddy Holly but the show was good....altho as I didn`t pay I`m sure that had a lot to do with it ...Cheers y`all.............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit