Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: anyone?

by gilwarrior 35 Replies latest watchtower medical

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

My compultion is locks. Whenever I leave my house I have to turn the doorknob two, three, four and even five times to make sure it is locked. I have done it so much that my door knob is getting loose. I also check the locks on my truck after I lock it. I check the locks over and over again even after I have seen that the doors are indeed locked.

So far I haven't reached that freaky zone where I have to check for several mintues and several hours, but sometimes I am afraid that it will get worse.

Anyone else have this?

• kelpie
    kelpie

Hi Gill

I do not have it personally but my grandmother and my brother do

My grandmother has to constantly check the doors to make sure they are locked.

My brother is with things he does. eg mowing the lawns, he has to make sure that they are all even and will get out the scissor and cut the individual blade of grass that is the wrong length. He also has to make sure that all his letters are joined when writing a letter so will go over and over and over a page of writing until he puts holes in it.

Just some of the things he does.

Kelps

• ugg
    ugg

there is medication and therapy that works for obsessive compulsive disorder....if it reaches a point where you cannot deal with anymore,,,then you need to check with a medical doctor...

• meadow77
    meadow77

I know exactly what it's like. At least four or five times a day I try to get away from this stupid site. But I have to keep coming back every ten minutes.

• Brummie
    Brummie
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: anyone?

Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me! Not me!

• meadow77
    meadow77

LOL @ Brummie

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

I know that my father, my daughter and I all have OCD. My dad counts. Everything! He counts how many swallows it takes to drink a glass of water.

I am also a counter. I remember as a child counting 13 steps in the staircase to our apartment. 13 down, 13 up. Never changed, but I had to do it. I also remember with sidewalks, I had to take 3 steps between "cracks", step over and 3 more. I remember too many times that I would go too fast and the count was off so I might have looked like a drunk walking down the street in halting steps, making sure it was always 3 steps between cracks without stepping on the crack. Today at least I am down to counting the silverware I put in the dishwasher. It used to be that I could not go over multiples of 4 (4,8, 12) or I would let the extras sit in the sink for the next load. Now I still count in multiples of 4 but I can put odd numbers in a slot.

My daughter has a cleanliness problem. Most would say you can't have a cleanliness problem unless you don't care about it at all. Or I can hear them think "You can never be too clean." I have learned you can be too clean. She washes no less than 3 times in the bath/shower. Can you imagine the cost of bath supplies? But worse than that is the leathery skin you get from washing away essential oils from the skin. Today I know immediately if I am getting the truth about her life just by looking at her hands.

I know that there are many out there with worse OCD problems, but when you have any...it can be devastating. For anyone with OCD that interferes with their everyday life, I suggest going to a Dr. and possibly getting some therapy. It can be very debillitating.

• Brummie
    Brummie

I used to have an open mind...But my brains kept falling out

That is just shoooo funny too.

Brummie

Brummie

Brummie

Brummie

• Brummie
    Brummie

Drat looks like I killed another serious thread...sorrrrry

Brummie

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Brummie

No, killing threads is MY job. I hold the record.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit