Benefits to strengthing SOCIAL ties between us?

by Pathofthorns 14 Replies latest jw friends

• COMF
    COMF

Good points, path. You said:

I think we need to focus on ourselves as a distinct evolving culture and strengthen the ties between us and respect our differences if we are to be truly successful in defeating the WT.

I agree with this to some extent. Actually, thanks to the internet, we really ARE a distinct evolving culture; I started with it in January 1997 and I've seen major changes in just that period of time. Strengthening ties by meeting in person is a good idea, too, to the extent possible.

However, I don't define myself by membership in this culture. I am integrating into mainstream society, and doing so fairly successfully. I will always be a part of this culture; but I wouldn't want anyone to rely strictly on friendship from it or membership in it while still remaining aloof from the society of the world at large, of which we are also a part.

As for defeating the WT, I would love to see that happen and I will party in celebration if it does. I offer my support and energy to "the cause" where I think it will do some good, but I'm not looking toward that as a major goal in my life. I'm just living. I believe that it's very important for exJWs to learn how to live as part of the society of humanity, not just a sympathetic subset of it.

• Simon
    Simon

Spot on Path

I think that for all the clever discussion of doctrine, all it really does is reinforce existing beliefs either for or against the WTS.

Just as people join the WTS for personal reasons, they also leave for personal reasons.

Many need some social support (I know we did) and being able to find people who understand, even if it's just on the Internet, does help.

Ironically, the ones who do this most do it because they genuinely want to help others but it probably is the thing that causes the most damage to the WTS in that it helps others to leave.

Sure, when you are on your way out you start reading all the discussions that prove the doctrine wrong but you leave with your heart, not your mind (typically).

Meeting up with people face to face is great and forming friendships based on more than the common past experiences is even better.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Hi Path,I was introduced to this forum,through Randy of Free Minds.It and Randy has helped me to get through the initial shock about the WT. Society.It was here that I was initially introduced to ,Crisis of Conscience,In Search of Christian Freedom,Apocalypse Delayed,The Gentile Times Reconsidered,Blood on the Altar,Releasing the Bonds and a couple of dozen other books, tapes,and links to other sites.I also had some phone call discussions with Randy and one short discussion with Raymond Franz and was able to follow through on some of their advice.My family and I have been helped immensely on this forum board .I have went back to some of the posts of some of the users that have titles such as Jedi,Emperor,Supreme, and read their thoughts that were posted then on a variety of topics.This has been very time consuming, but, worth every moment of it.Because of the education and help I received here I have been able to use all this information to help some others including my own family.I also find the thoughts of users that have titles of Newbie,Junior,Senior and Master.For those that have ben here for a longer time than others please don't ever tire of assisting us newer ones even though you read the same similar topics over and over.Remember when you first came here and the many questions and answers you had.I want to thank SIMON and ALL of YOU,on this forum.Path, for me so far this community right here has been a tremendous help and in turn my family has been able to help others through it .In the future we hope to expand beyond it.Blueblades

• waiting
    waiting

Very good points, Path,

When I first came to this tiny site - you & I started icq'ing. Nothing fancy - just "howdy, eh?" But we got to know a little about each other, our backgrounds, likes, dislikes......and the first time in 30 years that I worried about sending a Christmas gift to anyone. You broke me in gentle, young one.

I think those who use the forum, a nice "next step" is icq, the phone, *private* emails, etc. I think meet-ups are marvelous - at least for me. I am a social being - and introducing ourselves to people we have so much in common with, is valuable. Does that mean we HAVE to socialize? Naaaaaaa, we are a Free People....ha.

For me.......each time I meet another xjw, it helps me to solidify my understanding of what happened to me. Much like a Support Group (which I've attended too). But it doesn't appeal to all, much like a support group. But I think it does help with the climate on the internet. Why.......COMF & I had a major differing of opinion before meeting......afterwards? Same differences.....but he sure is nice - and I like him because he's a nice guy.

Thankfully, we're all different.

Speaking of Randy Watters - he is helping to sponsor a workshop weekend in LA along with Steve Hassan, March 14 & 15.. My husband have made plans to attend, also Dungbeetle.......(I suspect there's more, eh?) Info over at Freeminds.

Catch y'all later.

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

"For many leaving the WT, life can be very scary and lonely. Not all will find themselves in a good position and it may take some time to get themselves on their feet again." You said it Path.

This site and all the others like it are really for these people. The ones who decide to come out of the cave. If this site shut down my life would go right on. For me it is a worthy time drop; but I hope for others I can give a peice of insperation. Arguing doctrine and dogma is just like arguing politics and parties. It's about who gets to rule in the imaginary world of Ideology. I see so many people here that look towards unity in purpose not religion. Most are tillted to the pagan or athiest side but I find them much easier to get along with than Fundamentalists. Whatever your doctrine even science and proof if you are a Fundmentalist the first casualty will be faith. And that is sad. Because with the loss of faith comes the dispare of being void of hope. And then the loss of trust. IMO & experience.

The lack of direct arguing with Witnesses now is because they have been defeated and exposed for the lies that they tell. There is no more to say. All they have left is threats, more of the same lies, betrayal, and name calling. That is a waste of time. They are terminal. As they come out of the darkness, sites like this one will help many avoid dashing on the rocks as they come to shore. Nothing is hidden and there is no bigger conspiracy. It is all laid out in the open. Take what you want and leave the rest. Here you get to control where you go, what you say, and whom you talk to. It is somethng that is unique, and forgien to contol mongers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit