Consequences of staying on the recommended Hotel list

by Samaritan At the Well 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Samaritan At the Well
    Samaritan At the Well
    The beauty is I no longer have to stand at the information board trying to read which hotels are available.  No longer attending District conventions will be a relief and I get to put those hundreds of dollars to better use.  
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

It was happening all the time, and is still going on.

I have points status at a couple of hotel chains and I watch my points pretty close. When I learned about this points stealing scheme many years ago I would still stay at the designated hotel but would rebook under my points and get the stay that way rather than letting Watchtower just rip my off.  

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I wish I could find the link discussing this.  I remember reading an incident of a hotel that was right out side the convention Centre which was and then wasn't on the approved list. A lot of witnesses still chose to stay there. So the society put some hunchoes out side the hotel, to catch the friends that were staying at the none approved locations, telling them they had to go to the rooming department where they would be told how disobedient they had been for going against the arrangement. A@$e holes. 
  • Awake at last
    Awake at last

We had a funny incident years ago in Sydney.  My dad was sceptical of the hotel/motel arrangement so booked the recommended motel without mentioning the JW arrangement.

When we got there, we were given a special key to use the pool.  I went to the pool and the other JW kids were outside the fence, they didn't have keys, so I let them in.  It wasn't long before motel management came to the pool area and made them all leave, only I could stay.  Apparently the special deal did not include use of the pool, it was December and stinking hot and humid too.  Mum was talking to the sisters and apparently they had to pay extra for bath towels as these were also not included as they were for us.  We paid the same amount per night as them too.

Some discount!

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

I knew I was gone when making plans for a trip to a convention with another couple. There were so many other things I wanted to do at the location there wasn't time to go to the sessions!

The other couple were less un-devout than me and seemed to notice! I know they did coz they said 'what about going to the convention?'. To which there was no answer (I was an MS)!

LOL!

I stopped going to meetings soon after, so that must have answered their question.

And I sneered at the hotel list. That might have been noticed too.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

It's interesting because in this country the society motel approved list has never been implemented. We are allowed total freedom to choose where we stay, and it has always been that way.  In fact it wasn't until I came on here that I knew anything about this.

• Stirred
    Stirred
    So interesting. Had no idea.  This year will be very different for me.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

Our first child was due to be born around convention time.

For whatever reason, the closest hotel was not on the list.

With severe guilt, at the time, I booked it anyways, and as a family with a 3-week-old baby, walked 2 blocks to the convention, no parking, no driving hassles.

Total a-hole group.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Are these hotel points used as a form of discount on future visits, rather similar to air miles being used to discount future flights?

if so, why would the society want them?

• sir82
    sir82

That's weird. They always gave me my points.

Maybe it's just a regional thing - happens in certain cities but not others?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit