Islam's Ugly Assault on Beauty

by NewYork44M 28 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

An interesting column from the Ayn Rand institute concerning the recent World beauty contest in Nigeria.

http://www.aynrand.org/medialink/columns/rt112702.shtml

One paragraph stood out:

"But the most revealing element of this Islamic attack was a slogan chanted by rioters: "Down with Beauty." This is the key to the whole outlook of Islam: an attack on any enjoyment of life in this world, even the aesthetic enjoyment of contemplating beauty. If you want young men to die for Allah the explicit goal of the fanatics then you can't let them catch even a glimpse of the values they are leaving behind."

The statement reminded me of the many things that we were deprived of. Most of these things were not intrinsically bad, but the organization feared them because they revealed the beauty that was missing from our own beliefs.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

apparently the article's author (ayn rand institute) missed the point entirely. the rioting ensued after an offensive newspaper article speculated that the prophet mohammad would have married one of the miss world contestants if he were alive today. protesters saying "down with beauty" obviously meant "down with the beauty pageant itself". muslims believe that mohammed was a messenger of allah (the one god). painting him with such a superficial brush is one of the things that sparked the rioting, not female beauty itself.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Yes, it was particularly insulting to the holy one because these contestants are all way to old for his attention.

• Mary
    Mary

These wacko men have a real problem with beauty and that's part of their f*cked up culture.........I asked one Muslim man at work why they make their women wear those head-to-toe robes. This guy is no fanatic, but his answer was simple. He said "Over here in North America, you are judged by your physical appearance. It's more or less a 'point of honor' with Muslim women to wear these things, just to show that it's not the physical appearance that matters, it's the inner beauty that matters."

Ya, right.......it's just another control factor that the men use over their women. The women aren't allowed to show their faces, their hair or any other body part in public, lest you be stoned to death for offending "Allah"............I didn't realize that Nigeria was also full of fanatical Muslims until the pagent riot happened.........this is what happens when you have a bunch of ignorant, uneducated wackos running around.......and it'll happen again, sooner, I think, than what we're prepared for.

I sincerely doubt though that Mohammed would have chosen any of the beauty pagent contestants......they were all in their 20s.....about 10 - 15 years too old for him............

Edited by - Mary on 4 December 2002 14:31:27

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

this is what happens when you have a bunch of ignorant, uneducated wackos running around.......

How did this turn into a discussion of Ohio college football fans?

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Thanks NY44, that was an interesting article, but I have a few areas of contention with it's assertions.

To view the recent riots in Nigeria as being caused by blanket Islamic reaction to the Miss World contest is an overly simplistic view. Beauty contests have been popular in Nigeria for decades, and still are. Other contests held each year include Miss Nigeria, Queen Afrik, and The Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria. These competitions rarely cause any trouble.

Why the riots on this occasion? For one thing, Miss World was held in the city of Kaduna, which is an extremely risky city. The population is evenly divided between Muslims and Christians, who frequently fight each other. When Kaduna state introduced sharia law two years ago, 2000 people died in street battles.

In addition, there is a huge amount of political infighting between Kaduna's governor , Ahmed Makarfi, and his more radical opponents, who frequently accuse him of being too soft on the Christians. Thus, stirring up riots was a good way to attack Mr. Makarfi on the political front. That Mr. Makarfi also supports the Christian president of Nigeria, Mr. Obasanjo, does not help calm matters.

It should be noted that it was not just Muslims taking part in the riots, but Christians too. They were responding to provocation and violence by Muslims, granted, but nevertheless they still took part. I enjoyed the article pointing out that it is only because of the Christian religion relinquishing power that we do not see similar scenes in the West.

As for Islam rejecting beauty, you only have to visit an Islamic country to see that this isn't the case. While Islam frowns upon representations of living creatures in art, their geometric designs and patterns on buildings and in furnishings are of the highest beauty. To take a slogan chanted by inflamed extremists and apply it in blanket fashion to hundreds of millions of people in more than twenty countries is a terribly inaccurate generalisation.

"If Islam is a religion of peace", asked the article, "then why is Islam accompanied by force and terror everywhere it predominates?" The answer is that it is not accompanied by force and terror everywhere it predominates. The moderate Islamic state of Morocco (from which I just returned after an extremely enjoyable, trouble-free and unthreatened visit) is an good example. In addition, one could turn around and ask exactly the same question of Christianity, and get the same answers.

Generalisations don't work. Tarring the whole with the brush of the extreme minority is inaccurate and contradicts the objectivity which the Rand Institute claims to practice.

Expatbrit

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

You are so wrong Incense!!

Mary, you are wise beyond words!

You got this part right also!

they were all in their 20s.....about 10 - 15 years too old for him............

• Mary
    Mary

expadbrit said: It should be noted that it was not just Muslims taking part in the riots, but Christians too. They were responding to provocation and violence by Muslims, granted, but nevertheless they still took part....."

Geeze, I guess the Christians should've just STOOD THERE, like a bunch of idiots and then the Muslims slaughter them all to death eh? Don't try to shift the blame for the riot on to the Christians, because it wasn't the Christians that started the riot in the first place, it was the Muslims, end of story.

".....As for Islam rejecting beauty, you only have to visit an Islamic country to see that this isn't the case. While Islam frowns upon representations of living creatures in art, their geometric designs and patterns on buildings and in furnishings are of the highest beauty. To take a slogan chanted by inflamed extremists and apply it in blanket fashion to hundreds of millions of people in more than twenty countries is a terribly inaccurate generalisation....."

LOL! You've GOT to be kidding??!! Tell you what; why don't you go take a vacation over to Iran or Iraq, dressed in western clothing complete with make-up on and see how much they enjoy a woman's beauty.......email us from prison and tell us how many years they gave you.........

"If Islam is a religion of peace", asked the article, "then why is Islam accompanied by force and terror everywhere it predominates?" The answer is that it is not accompanied by force and terror everywhere it predominates.

Ya right......I guess everyone is just mis-interpreting the 150 references in the Koran promoting death to all "infidels"........it's really a religion of peace!!

In addition, one could turn around and ask exactly the same question of Christianity, and get the same answers.

Gee, last time I checked, none of the terrorists from September 11th or any of the suicide bombers that never seem to quit, were Christians, they were ALL MUSLIMS.

• cookie
    cookie

Expatbrit:

I enjoyed your post,it was both informative and inciteful.After reading it, I am left with the questions:

What was the purpose of such an article?

Could it be that Rand assumes its readers are simple minded and easily manipulated?

It is race baiting. (simple as that!)

Cookie

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I think the key word in the article is "fanatics." The article was not making a broad stroke of all Muslims. I know several Muslims and consider them to be "very" peace loving. They were as shaken over the events of 911 as the rest of us. However, lest us not forget, there are fanatics that will manipulate words to their own ends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit