I'm an Alcoholic

by Bhagavad 11 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Hybridous...I haven't seen you in a long time! Do you even remember me? We used to chat a while back...my e-mail is in my profile, you are more than welcome to e-mail me anytime you want, and talk about anything you want!

• Granny Linda
    Granny Linda

I found recovery 15 years ago this past September. Here, too, I did it the A.A. way until I tired of particular things that started to bother me; like too much judgement going on towards those who would not embrace their concept completely. Yeah I know it's about principles not personalities, but after being a die-hard 12 stepper for five years I decided to call it quits. I will always credit A.A. though, with having shown me another way of thinking that produces good results...if the individual is really interested in such. Many just want to put "the plug in the jug" and not bother with the rest of the program. And for some it probably does work. Not all think of drug addication as anything other then the physical cravings...so live and let live.

Here is where I might just 'un-qualify' myself to speak...because on occassion I will have some cold beer and/or a marquirita (sp). That definetly goes against 'complete abstinence', eh. And for myself I've learned it's not about drinking to hide some pain as it was in the beginning - I'm a totally different person from who I used to be. I'm not motivated by the old thinking thus I'm comfortable from where I sit. And if for any reason I do not like the person I see looking back at me in the mirror, I now have other means of dealing with that, too.

Whatever direction my life takes these days I know it's not necessary to pick up a drink. Actually it's the last thing that comes to mind when I'm having problems. It's just not a solution. I have a choice. Something that I never understood before. At the same time I enjoy knowing that today it's possible to enjoy that social aspect if I choose such.

I'm older and life holds too much promise to waste my time and energies acting as if I hadn't learned anything in those 15 years. And remember, what works for one - might not work for another.

love,

granny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit