Mormon scandal brewing in Washington State

by Mulan 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

My youngest son brought this article to my attention. Very, very interesting. It was in the Seattle PI, yesterday, December 2.

Student risks ire of Mormons

By PATTY HENETZ
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SALT LAKE CITY -- A University of Washington graduate student with Mormon family roots says he will probably be excommunicated for articles that he has written questioning the validity of the Book of Mormon.

Thomas Murphy, 35, published an article in the May Signature Books anthology, "American Apocrypha," that uses genetic data to discredit the Book of Mormon claim that Native Americans are heathen descendants of ancient Israel. The conclusion also is the thesis of his UW doctoral dissertation.

"We're told to tell the truth, but not if the truth contradicts church doctrine. I would prefer to tell the truth," Murphy said.

Murphy, who is also chairman of the anthropology department at Edmonds Community College in Lynnwood, will face a church disciplinary council Sunday. There, he will be allowed to make a statement and council members may try to change his mind about the Book of Mormon.

Church spokesman Dale Bills declined to comment on Murphy's case. "Matters of church discipline are handled on a confidential basis between church members and their local leaders. Local church leaders determine what, if any, disciplinary action is appropriate," Bills said.

Lavina Fielding Anderson, a historian who was excommunicated in 1993, said Murphy is one of at least three scholars threatened with expulsion or excommunicated in the past three months, raising concerns about renewed efforts to purge dissident church members.

In an e-mail sent last week to Signature Books, Anderson said the two other scholars were hoping to avoid public exposure. "Such ecclesiastical actions are deeply distressing," she wrote.

Anderson was excommunicated after she presented a history of troubles between church leaders and scholars and feminists at a 1992 conference.

The next year, Elder Boyd Packer, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, declared feminists, homosexuals and "so-called intellectuals" dangers to the church. A series of excommunications followed, though high-profile cases have waned.

Murphy said he has made it his quest to expose racism in the scriptures, starting with the teaching that Native Americans are descendants of Middle Easterners known as Lamanites, the heathen antagonists in the Book of Mormon.

Mormons believe the Book of Mormon is a history of the Americas beginning in 600 B.C. Scripture teaches that a group of Lamanites who decided to forgo violence and war became Christians -- and white.

"That's racist," Murphy said.

He also objects to church teachings that dark skin is a curse from God. Murphy said he also questioned the lack of minority representation in church leadership, the church's political campaigns against women's and homosexual rights and "excommunicating scholars who honestly confront problems with church history and doctrines."

Trent Stevens, a professor of anatomy and embryology at Idaho State University, agreed with Murphy's genetics data that links the current Indian population with native Siberians.

But he disagreed with what Murphy has concluded.

The Book of Mormon, Stevens said, makes no claim that every Native American descended from the original displaced Israelites, though that is the traditional view that Mormons grow up with.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Wow! Are you sure they are Mormon and not JWs? Perhaps the reporter was confused and inserted Mormon when he/she meant JW?

They are so similar, it is scary.

They got Donny & Marie, we got Wacko Jacko. I think they got the better deal.

• waiting
    waiting
    "We're told to tell the truth, but not if the truth contradicts church doctrine. I would prefer to tell the truth," Murphy said.

Why, that's what Jehovah's Witnesses are told too! "Wait on Jehovah - science has been proven wrong before." "Don't run ahead of Jehovah's Organization."

will face a church disciplinary council Sunday. There, he will be allowed to make a statement and council members may try to change his mind about the Book of Mormon.

"allowed" to speak.....and the council members "may try to change his mind." Yeah......I bet.

Murphy is one of at least three scholars threatened with expulsion or excommunicated in the past three months, raising concerns about renewed efforts to purge dissident church members.

How ironic.....weren't there 3 disfellowshippings of dissident jw church members before Dateline aired?

Elder Boyd Packer, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, declared feminists, homosexuals and "so-called intellectuals" dangers to the church. A series of excommunications followed, though high-profile cases have waned.

OMG!!!!!! Mormons ARE Evil Twins of the WTBTS!

Thanks to your son, Mulan.

waiting

• Gig
    Gig

All I can say is WOW, and appreciate the possible comparison to JW "light".

Thanks for sharing,

Gig

• Mulan
    Mulan

I showed the article to my JW mother. She is reading it now. I wonder if she will see the comparison too.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Their version of excommunicating is FAR different and less harsh than the witnesses. There is no comparison.

• jimbob
    jimbob

I also saw read that article. They could've substituted JW for Mormon and the article would still apply. I always knew that Mormons excommunicate their members, but this article really drives it home. Too bad for him!

• waiting
    waiting

Hey freedom,

The excommunication of the Catholic Church is far different too from the jw's. The Amish shunning is similar to jw's, however. How DO the Mormons view excommunicated persons? More like the Catholics?

But the way the Mormons' view dissidents is quite similar. "Get rid of them."

Their view that to tell the truth only when it agrees with their own doctrine is quite similar too.

Their elders meetings seem similar too.

waiting

• moman
    moman

Mulan, how about those "golden tablets" Joe Smith found, what a hoot!

• freedom96
    freedom96

Waiting-

I have discussed their version of df'ing with a couple of mormon friends. Unless they were dismissing it as no big deal to hide what it really is, they told me that you basically just are not considered a mormon anymore. Whatever "privledges" they may have had, would be taken away. Similar as if a MS was removed.

But as far as being able to communicate, and be friends with the ousted mormon, apparently that all stays the same.

They do have their own stupid rules; for example if you are not the perfect mormon, you may be told that you cannot take sacriment (however it is spelled) or you may not be able to enter their temples.

But the hurtful type stuff that the WTS does, just isn't there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit