So How Bad Is The World REALLY?

by Englishman 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

In the UK, if you drop a wallet in the road in error, what are the chances of it being handed in to a Police station by the finder with all the contents still intact?

It's 80%!

When I read that in The Times some weeks ago, I was very skeptical. Then I thought of all the people that I know, friends, aquaintances and pub pals, and I reckon that 90% of them are basically honest with their fellow man. So, yes, the figure does make sense, allowing for the fact that in some parts of the country the figure would be abysmally low and higher in others.

Then I thought of how JW's view the world. This "Wicked old world" this "System of things", where Satan roars around causing havoc. This is surely how JW's view the world, isn't it? Or is it?

When JW's knock at the door preaching, one of their opening gambits is to get the householder to agree that the World is a very bad place that is full of evil-doers, then they go on to explain how everything will be cleaned up at Armageddon. But this is the point: In so doing, they are making the assumption that the householder is also a "good" person who is desperate for the World to improve, in other words, most JW's know inwardly that most people are actually really quite nice to know, it's just that their imprinting rides over that fact.

I suspect that the majority of the trouble and crime caused overall is being perpetrated by a small percentage of persons, say less than 5% of the population. For an organisation such as JW's to tar anyone not a JW with the same brush, is IMHO, downright unjust.

Englishman.

• Quotes
    Quotes

My thoughts exactly!

If, say, JW was to have their wallet returned to them intact, I suspect they would view this as an indication that this is an "exceptional" person in their honesty. They would then assume that such an honest person is "of the humble heart to accept Jehovah" and attempt to witness to them.

I remember suffering from that warped paradigm myself. I would go around expecting the world to be a terrible place and looking for proof of same; and if I found a person that didn't fit that, I would target as "potential convert"

*SIGH* I am so ashamed of my JW past.

• rebel
    rebel

Englishman,

I am always saying the same thing. The majority of people are very nice and want to live a peaceful life. It's just that the troublemakers, although a small minority, often make the most noise.

Also, I would rather live today than back in the times when witch-hunts were conducted and people were burnt at the stake for possessing a Bible. Also, I know JWs say that diseases are rife now (Aids etc), but what about the time of the Black Death, millions and millions died and almost the whole of Europe perished - it was much worse back then. I would rather be poor in the 21st century than poor back in Victorian times (or any other early time for that matter).

xxR

• Francois
    Francois

Yes, the majority of people are honest, hard working, good friends and neighbors, and would help a stranger in a heartbeat. The darkest thing in society today, IMHO, is the black-hearted Jehovah's Witnesses who spread their message of universal hate. Even the god they preach is a god of hate who is going to murder off 99.98% of the human race because they do not embrace the odd and bloody teachings of that cult. It's all in that God, Jehovah, where the real problem lurks. And the JWs go door-to-door spreading this primitive God's nasty, hate-oriented, blood-filled message.

The world is in better shape than it's ever been, Saddam & bin Laden, and creatures of that ilk notwithstanding.

• acsot
    acsot

I have to agree that the JW mindset sure gets in the way of seeing people for who they really are, which seems to be, for the most part, pretty decent. Now that I've started lightening up a bit I've noticed how kind people are. In fact, just yesterday at the store getting my watch battery replaced, one of the employees noticed a paperback under my arm, asked if I enjoyed reading mystery novels and offered me two of his to read. He regularly lends out his books to customers, has bags of them and I doubt he even keeps track. Also, a woman a few blocks from my house offered me some plants and seeds from her garden for next spring (I'm new to home ownership and have my very own First Garden!). Nice people everywhere. We were too blind to it all as JWs.

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

francois said:

Even the god they preach is a god of hate who is going to murder off 99.98% of the human race because they do not embrace the odd and bloody teachings of that cult. It's all in that God, Jehovah, where the real problem lurks. And the JWs go door-to-door spreading this primitive God's nasty, hate-oriented, blood-filled message.

aptly illustrated in a jw website:

...positively hair-raising! (hehe "privileged dust" that's a good one) quotes said:

If, say, JW was to have their wallet returned to them intact, I suspect they would view this as an indication that this is an "exceptional" person in their honesty. They would then assume that such an honest person is "of the humble heart to accept Jehovah" and attempt to witness to them.

I remember suffering from that warped paradigm myself. I would go around expecting the world to be a terrible place and looking for proof of same; and if I found a person that didn't fit that, I would target as "potential convert"

sad but true. from the same website:
    From ---: (Original Message)
    I was at our local mall and I found a white sack that i could see through,and i saw that there were many new DVD's in it. I didn't want to take it to the security guards as they didn't have a good reputation for their honesty. So, I thought i would take it home, and put a 'found' ad in the local paper. The next morning, when Gwen,1 of my day care moms arrived, I told her of the incident, and asked if she would be a witness to the fact of what all was in the sack, as I made a list of the contents. She said she would~~but wondered why I was wanting a witness, since I obviously wouldn't return part of a sack, and steal the rest! I just said, I felt it the right thing to do~ anyway, I pulled each item out, but the last item surprised me.......i pulled out was a small purse.I was in shock to find it there. I opened it, and found the lady's I.D. Gwen said she knew her, as she was a Ob/Gyn Dr. at the university hosp, where Gwen works as a pharmacist. I called the phone number in the phone book, and left a detailed message on the answering machine. That night, she called me , where i was at the local school, running a book fair..... I told her I felt bad, because if i had looked in the sack, she could have been told that night, before she cancelled out everything.(as she told me she had cancelled out all her credit cards that night, but she just was wanting her ID's--drivers license, and her Dr's one she must wear at work. so not to feel bad at all! she was so relieved.) I witnessed to her, and explained how we are honest...... and she said that she knew that, and was SO glad that one of Jehovahs Witnesses found the purse, as she knows she will get everything back.(at least everything that hadn't been stolen by someone else~ she felt someone may have taken her cards and money, as the sack was with them in a store, but they laid it down to look at some kids clothes) She asked if there was money still in the purse, and i told her i didn't know, I didn't snoop, and felt that what was in the purse was not my business, I did however look for the ID which was visible off the bat. She was ssssooo greatful, and it really lifted my day......which had been rotten up to this point. The next day she came for the sack, but i wasn't home, due to working at the school. (before i had left for the school, i called and left a message at her house, to tell her i was disappointed not to be able to meet her, and that i put a bit of literature in the sack as well) When i came home, Emily told me there was a $20.00 bill on the cabinet from this woman. I called her, and she answered....She said she owed me everything, and would be forever greatful that i was so honest. I told her, i was just doing what was right, and that she didn't have to pay me for it.I certainly wasn't expecting anything! She said she checked, and everything was there.....even her money! nothing was disturbed, and she just felt i should be rewarded for honesty's sake. She is to read the literature......and I am in hopes that this will peak her interest, and she will eventually come to know our God Jehovah. just had to share this with you........love to all......(name deleted) Hi ----; Hearing that, makes me proud to say "that was my sister!"
  • freedom96
    freedom96

I believe that anyone can take any statistic they want and twist into their way of thinking, and I believe the WTS does it all the time.

Are there more crimes now than ever? Probably, if you take the number by itself. But, if you consider the fact that there are more people on the planet than ever, then that number probably is not that much different than ever before.

They have done that with crime, earthquakes, etc.

The other consideration is that information is passed a lot quicker now. We don't have to sail over oceans to get word to the other side of the world.

By and far, this planet is a great place to live.

• Beans
    Beans

According to these magazines I used to read it was getting worse and worse every year! But they said that one day it would all end and I would live forever!

I can't wait!

Beans

Canadian District overbeer

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

How bad is it really? Bad as it's always been. Go back 100 years in time and leave your wallet laying somewhere. What do you think the chances would be of getting it back with all the money still inside?

Mike.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Is the glass half empty or half full? It depends if you are in the 80 th percentile or the 20 th percentile...Very subjective.

Edited by - thichi on 3 December 2002 19:6:42

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit