London Conventions 2015 - NO TWICKENHAM

by Da.Furious 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

Just got news from a friend that yesterday a letter was read in their congregation announcing new Locations for the regional conventions in London.

The main item was NO Twickenham in 2015.

Their congregation is assigned to ExCel London (need to confirm since he was not 100% sure)

I will update this when i get more information tonight.

• bohm
    bohm
    Silly question, but what is Twickenham and ExCel and what does this news implies? 
  • Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

for non British readers.

Twickenham is a football ground that all London conventions used to be held there since 1960s.

Seems they are asking lots of money or WTS is not making enough money out of it, i meant JWs not contributing much.

ExCel is an indoors conference centre. And seems 25,000 JWs will be distributed around London for their Convention.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Twickenham is a Rugby Union Football Stadium that for many is not that hard to get to, an easy ride off the M25 Motorway that rings London.

Excel is located in an area of former Docks near the Thames, basically in no man's land, and on the Friday will be a nightmare to get to, and not that good on the Weekend. 

Accommodation nearby is usually all taken by the wealthier Bros.

So, why the preference for Excel ?

You won't need 3 guesses, yes that's right, the Borg makes more money out of it, and don't give a s**t how hard it makes life for the R&F.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

I thought we were getting TWO day conventions this year.

Dammit i was really looking forward to reclaiming 1/365th of my year back.

• bohm
    bohm
    Thanks for the information. Any reasons given for this? Bigger venue, better seating, better multimedia equipment?
  • 88JM
    88JM

I'm not familiar with Twickenham's reputation as a venue, though I seem to remember hearing parking was always bad.

Would moving to the ExCel center mean people have to use hotels more, by any chance?

Maybe the GB made an "executive decision" as they were visiting in 2014 that Twickenham was no longer suitable/too expensive?

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

@bohm

I did not hear the announcement myself. Once i get more information is will post it.

Bigger venue: i doubt. Better seating: Anything is better than a rugby ground plastic back breaking seats with treacherous stairs!

Interesting point, Better Multimedia: I presume so since it will be indoors better lighting and clearer sound and visual - if this years convention is similar to last years, then i presume similar amount or more video broadcasts.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Was anyone at the London Excel RC on Friday?

Apparently there was an apostate that got up on the stage. I'm told that the speaker quickly asked everyone to grab their songbooks and start singing.

The idea of 6,000 people grabbing songbooks and singing from whatever page they come across is just hilarious.

Can anyone confirm this insanity?

• menrov
    menrov

There was a change in venue in The Netherlands as well. The difference means around 325 km's more over 3 days. Say 60 cars in one congregation, means 19.400 additional km's or some 2600 euro additional cost. For only one impacted congregation!!!

Why not just cancel the assemblee for this year if suddenly the venue is not available...it saves a lot of money and hassle (and who knows, marriages...)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit