JHVH

by meadow77 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• meadow77
    meadow77

Just a question

In no way is this meant argumentativly, but why all the hype over the true name of God being Jehovah? The true hebrew form of the word had no vowels. So the true name of God could just as easily be Jehivah or Juhavah, or something similiar, couldn't it?

Edited by - meadow77 on 1 December 2002 5:12:31

• ballistic
    ballistic

I suppose it could even be Juhoova.

• meadow77
    meadow77

or Johivah

• Earnest
    Earnest

I don't really think there is any hype about the name. 'Jehovah' is simply the name that Tyndale used when publishing the first English translation of the Bible and so was used in subsequent translations including the King James version.

There was much speculation about the correct translation after 'Jehovah' was first used in Latin and if Tyndale had used one of the alternatives we would likely be using that instead. Both he and Luther (who also used Jehovah in his German translation) added much to their respective languages. Why change it ?

Earnest

Edited by - Earnest on 1 December 2002 10:7:31

• shera
    shera

A catholic monk,yrs back(can't remember the time) came up with the name Jehovah.Mabey he got it right,mabey he didn't.The JW's don't mind that teaching from the catholic's do they?

• onacruse
    onacruse

Ancient Hebrew, though not having written vowels, had other linguistic mechanisms that enabled the reader to discern the proper pronunciation. For example:

1) There were certain "vowel sign consonants": aleph to denote "a", he for "a", yod for "i" or "e", waw for "o" or "u".

2) Also, there were rules regarding syllable construction: The vowel of an open syllable must be long, unless accented (in which case it may be long or short). The vowel of a closed syllable must be short, unless accented (in which case it may or may not be long).

3) And, there are certain letters (e.g. he) that have a decided preference for long vowels.

4) There are rules for which syllable should ordinarily be accented.

[From The Essentials of Biblical Hebrew (Yates & Owens)]

All this being considered, the most likely pronunciation was yah-weh. But, as with all rules of language, there are always exceptions. Hebrew is like any other living language and the pronunciations and alphabets changed over the decades and centuries.

Craig

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

According to the Watchtower Society publication "Aid to Bible Understanding" on pages 884, 885, the name "Jehovah" was first recorded in 1270 C.E. by Raymundus Martini, a Catholic Monk, in his book "Pugeo Fidei" (Dagger of Faith).

Edited by - Nathan Natas on 1 December 2002 12:57:45

• Satanus
    Satanus

There was no J in the jewish god's name, becuase there was no J in their alphebet. Also, the was no J in the greek, hebrew, aramaic or latin alphebets. It remained for the J to be invented along w the language that came to be english. There was a thread which sites some research. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=34764&site=3&page=2

SS

• onacruse
    onacruse

To add to SS, there was a "V" in ancient Hebrew, but it was not denoted by waw (the third consonant in the Tetra). It was denoted by the consonant beth, when used as a labial fricative.

And, no, that's NOT chicken fricassee!

Craig

• ballistic
    ballistic

Does anyone know about that "I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be" is all about? Is that what JHWH means? It certainly sounds very cryptic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit