'Religion' after the Witnesses?

by happysunshine 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

I am considering going to church, but mainly for the social aspects of it. I also think the structure and socialization would be good for my daughter. I don't consider myself religious though, I put my belief in God pretty much on par with my belief in Santa ...it would be great if he existed, but I am not banking on it....

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

I think that when someone has been so abused by religion it is hard to trust again. In the JW setting everyone turns on you and is trying to screw you any way they can. Even years after you leave. How can you go to that (another religion) which you have hated for so long without looking like and feeling like a hypocrite? I think that the pride alone would be enough to keep many at bay. And unfortunately the jw's are not the only religious crooks out there. I can say though when you overcome your (the) fear of the unknown it is a beautiful thing. It is like a big weight being lifted off you. Not every church is palatable by far but there are so many good ones. If you are looking for what is wrong in every religion and every person then you will never be disappointed. And you will probably never find one that is acceptable for you to express YOUR beliefs and YOUR love that you have to give. But, "IF" you look for the good things in religions and people, and work on improving yourself (Pull the plank out of your eye) then you might start to find a way to be really happy. And that is a good thing.

2 other things I believe.

Faith is not the same thing as religion.

God is bigger than any one religion.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

For me:

Religion: No

Spirituality: Yes

Even though I label myself as Wiccan I do attend a Buddhist temple on wednesdays. I think the process of self spiritualization is far more important than dedicating yourself to someone elses set of rules.

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

At first I thought I would never be able to be a part of any real organized religion again. Everytime I attended chruch with some friends I was turned off by the way you were expected to just believe things and that it was the absolute and you had to believe like that or not be a member of that church. There was no room for exploring and growing as a spiritual being. Then I took the quiz on beliefnet and heard of Unitarian Universalist. They are an organized religion, but there is no creed and to become a member all you have to do is sign a book. You can be of other religious background. Many people I attend church with are christian, some buddhist, some nontheist. I still believe in God, but not the God of the bible. I think the bible has a lot to teach us, but I do not believe it was inspired of God. I do believe Jesus lived, ant that he was just very connected to himself and his spiritual being and soul and that made him so mindful. I read a lot of buddhist books and the Tao Te Ching as well. I love growing and openning my mind. Everytime I read some more I grow as a spiritual being. So yes to me religion and spirituality are possible after the witnesses. You just have to find what is comfortable to you.

• redorc
    redorc

never again ever

• Kingpawn
    Kingpawn

It's possible, but it can be more of a struggle for some than others.

Problem one is overcoming that "if the JW's weren't the truth, and they've soured me on all other religions, where do I go?" dilemna.

My first mistake was going to a Baptist church. After being insulted and stumbled, I left.

Someone posted a link to a site (Selectsomething-or-other) that asked you twenty questions about your feelings on religion, doctrines, and social issues. That led me to research Wicca and the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).

I've since continued my studies in Wicca, and am becoming more at ease with concepts I would have rejected immediately years ago like a dual deity, reincarnation, and studying the Tarot equalling spiritism. I basically take the "The One, the God and Goddess" and reincarnation (for now) as interesting, maybe not totally convinced in my own mind, but I'm not required to be convinced in order to belong.

Wicca to me is an opposite to the Witnesses. There are very few "doctrines," the main one being what could be called a restatement of the Golden Rule: "Ain it harm none (or yourself too), do what thou wilt." It's far from being a "you must believe A, B, C,..." system. There is no "Bible" to argue over. Wicca doesn't claim to be the "only way" to acheiving some spiritual goal like salvation. No priesthood or someone needed to act as an intermediary between you and the Divine. Nor is one required to go to a particular place to worship (a building) and/or only on certain days. It can be practiced alone if desired, or if circumstances keep you away from others. GSX1138 sums it up well in his sig: expose the Bible to the weather, and the words and paper will vanish. To us (I can't say "me" yet), the wind and rain is our Bible. These differences are what I find attractive about it.

And I have to agree with his comment that spiritualization is more important than submitting to someone else's rules. Their way may not be best for you. If you aren't comfortable you won't be spiritual.

I doubt I'll ever attend a "church" as part of an organized religion again. But I can still be religious.

• happysunshine
    happysunshine

excellent comments all! You've given me a lot to chew over. -J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit