Peculiar Sayings in the Bible

by Navigator 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Navigator
    Navigator

One of the problems in understanding the bible is the use of "idoms". The word idiom comes from the greek word "idioma" which means peculiarity or peculiar phraseology. Scholars have estimated that there are more than 1000 idioms used in the bible. Anyone who has studied spanish knows that phrases used in Mexico may not be understood in Spain or Puerto Rico. Even though you understand every single word in the phrase, you may miss the meaning if you are not familiar with the idiom. It was a problem even in Jesus' day. The aramaic spoken in northern palestine where Jesus was from was differen't from the aramaic spoken in Jerusalem. When Jesus spoke to Nicodemus about being born again, Nicodemus was confused because he was not familiar with the idiom which means 'come to a new understanding". Another example is "turn the other cheek" which means "look at things from a different perspective". They weren't meant to be taken literally. Another familiar one is the phrase "easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven." In aramaic, the root word for camel and hemp(the material used for rope) are the same. The greek translators of aramaic were apparently not familiar with this and used the wrong word in their translation. The phrase makes a lot more sense if the word rope is used. Nevertheless, there are tourist guides in Jerusalem today who will show gullable tourists a very small entrance and explain that it is the one referred to in the bible.

John 6:53 has Jesus saying "Verily, verily, I say unto you. Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of Man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you". John then reports "then many of his disciples who heard it were saying: This is a difficult saying! Who can listen to it? Yet modern day Assyrians and Chaldeans still use this idom which refers to one's own body and blood according to Rocco Errico, Phd. They would say "I have eaten my body and drunk my blood" which means "I have worked long and hard and suffered greatly." According to Errico, another common saying is "I have eaten the body of my dead people" and refers to "working under great hardships".

The statement of Jesus can then be properly understood in this manner: Unless you incorporate my teachings into your daily living and be willing to work long and hard; and be ready to endure difficulty, opposition, and great sufferings (which will be the result of this teaching), you will have no life in yourselves.

Although the greek translators of the now lost aramaic accounts were faithful in their renderings, their unfamiliarity with aramaic culture, customs, and idoms may have caused much of the original meaning to be lost. The situation is further compounded when the greek is further translated into other languages. One should therefore be cautious about taking the wording in the bible literially. You may be dealing with an idiom.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

velly velly interestink!

could you share your source material please?

• hippikon
    hippikon

Oh yes I remember an Idiom - Something about Hoover killing everyone who pisses on his wall. Now where was that verse? I knew I should have kept my bible for something vital rather than use it for rolling joints and smoking it. (The only way I know to get some spirit out of it)

• Navigator
    Navigator

The source material comes from works by George M. Lamsa( who compiled the Lamsa Bible) and his student Rocco Errico, Phd. Lamsa is the author of New Testament Light, and Gospel Light. He was raised in a remote, very backward valley in Syria speaking northern aramaic which had changed little since Jesus' day. His childhood scripture was in aramaic. He was shocked when he read his first english translation of the bible and realized how aramaic idioms had been mishandled and the lack of knowlege regarding aramaic customs and culture. His great contribution has been to explain idioms used in the bible and to provide the information regarding customs and culture that explain some heretofore misunderstood phrases. His student, Dr. Errico is a regular contributor to Science of Mind Magazine which is the publication of the United Church of Religious Science.

I have heard Dr. Errico speak in person. He has a very humorous talk on why Jesus instructed his diciples not to greet anyone on the road when he sent them out. It seems that middle easterners are quite nosey and, in the process of greeting, tend to get your life history and spend so much time doing this that you have to accompany them home to supper and not travel till the next day(They are also very hospitable). Jesus wanted his disciples to get the word out and knew that the "greeting process" would really slow things down.

Dr. Lamsa also has an interesting view point on the wedding at Cana which he feels was badly handled by the greek writer of John. He points out that eastern weddings were pretty much drunken brawls and went on for days. He says that the responsibility for providing the wine lay with the guests and not with the host. The groom's best friend provided the first (and presumably the best) wine. It would have been a major blunder and insult to go out of turn in providing the wine. According to Lamsa, it would have been scandalous for a Rabbi such as Jesus to provide wine to an already drunken crowd. It was customary for the Rabbi to serve water and encourage everyone to sober up. According to Lamsa, when Mary came to Jesus and said, "They have no wine", she was in effect saying, "it is your turn". Jesus disagreed, but complied with his mother's wishes, nonetheless. Having tasted some of the middle eastern wines, I would concur that water would taste pretty good when compared to the cheap stuff.

• waiting
    waiting

lol - like American's naming their kid Randy......but to be randy in Britain is to be very *unsutbly* sexually aroused.

To do The Shag in South Carolina is to dance the state dance.....but in Britain, it's a low brow way of saying "sexual intercourse."

Those Britains certainly do talk about sex a lot, don't they?

Interesting points - thanks Navigator. I followed you until this Biblical exchange:

1.He says that the responsibility for providing the wine lay with the guests and not with the host. The groom's best friend provided the first (and presumably the best) wine. It would have been a major blunder and insult to go out of turn in providing the wine.
    2. According to Lamsa, it would have been scandalous for a Rabbi such as Jesus to provide wine to an already drunken crowd.
    3. It was customary for the Rabbi to serve water and encourage everyone to sober up.

Understand 1 & 2 & 3.

4. According to Lamsa, when Mary came to Jesus and said, "They have no wine", she was in effect saying, "it is your turn".
    5. Jesus disagreed, but complied with his mother's wishes, nonetheless.

Are you saying that Jesus acted "scandalously as a Rabbi" because he made more wine for an already drunken crowd (they had run out of wine) just to appease his mother?

waiting

Edited by - waiting on 29 November 2002 15:46:57

• Navigator
    Navigator

Waiting

What I am suggesting is that Jesus served water to the guests. I am also suggesting that the Steward was pretty drunk himself and that the water, which probably tasted pretty good, had only changed to wine in the besotted brain of the Steward.

• waiting
    waiting

ahhhhhhhh, now that makes sense....particularily if one were drunk already.

Of course, it can't be proven, but then neither can the mircle, Jesus or Mary. "Doesn't mean it didn't happen" - just that it can't be proven.

Have you got any more Biblical idioms? What you say makes good sense. In USA, words change all the time, even within a couple of decades. We all know that, and yet as jw's - we accepted that "what they said is exactly what they meant."

Lol........the "camel through a needle's eye" makes a lot more sense as a piece of hemp.

Thanks.

waiting

• JT
    JT

It is for reasons just as you have outlined that show why the bible despite it's claim of Divine authorship could not be from god,

in my view it has to be one Cold Bloodied trick to tell folks that ---YOUR VERY LIFE DEPENDS UPON UNDERSTANDING AND FOLLOWING THE BOOK KNOWN AS THE BIBLE why at the same time it is written in such a manner that after some 2000+ yrs folks still have no idea what it is talking about beyond their own little interpertation

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I recently attended two sessions discussing the book of Ruth, the Church and human sexuality. It is interesting as to what is meant by Ruth "uncovering Boaz's feet." There are many idiom's in the Bible and only now after rejecting my Watchtower biased education am I appreciating that there is much more to the language of the bible than just words.

Thirdson

• waiting
    waiting

3rdson,

You really are a cruel sort to throw the above out..........with no explanation. What? You want us to ask?????

Okay............did Ruth really uncover Boaz's feet?

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit