How did you feel about 'fake' witnesses?

by Simon 25 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Simon,I was brought up to believe,that dubs did`nt celebrate X-mas.Then I saw what you have described..I was taught that those who did such things were not dubs,mearly imposters trying to get into the kingdom of god..I am a ex-dub and I have Excellent Christmas`s..LOL!...OUTLAW

• blondie
    blondie

I call this having a gift exchange on December 26 or any other day near December 25 a "corban" syndrome. It is right up there with JWs who have a "Special Day" and exchange the equivalent of birthday presents. Personally, I dont mind having turkey and the trimmings on Thanksgiving, but I think it is hypocritical to only invite JW relatives and deliberately not invite non-JW relatives (because we might stumble them). The Pharisees used the "corban" principle to get around the Biblical requirement of taking care of ones aged parents materially. Why is it surprising that the Pharisees of today find similar ways to violate their own edicts? That fact that these JWs usually conceal these events shows they know they are skirting the edge of the issue.

12/1/88 WT pg 4-5 Religious Traditions and the Bible

Gods Word specifically commanded that children honor their parents. (Exodus 20:12) This obviously included assisting parents who fell into dire financial straits. However, a Jewish tradition developed that provided a convenient way to evade this Biblical obligation. A selfish individual merely had to pledge that his personal property was later to be donated to the temple, setting the property aside by declaring it "corban." This word meant "a gift dedicated to God." Although the Jewish worshiper was evidently free to continue to use this corban for his own personal gain, he could piously deny it to his parents.Mark 7:9-12.
  • bay64me
    bay64me

It took me a while to cotton on that there were such people in the hall. Nontheless, I was to have my eyes opened to such displays of blatant hypocrisy. I knew a family who "coincidentally" would buy their children presents on their birthday "because it was the only convenient time they had to shop!"

A certain ministerial servant in our old hall went on holiday and took his video camera. When he played us the tape, there he was being filmed blowing birthday candles out on a cake and other guests singing happy birthday to him. Not only that but the camera had been pre-set to display 'happy birthday' logo! But of course it was everyone elses fault and he apparently had no idea this was going to take place!

• kelpie
    kelpie

We used to have what we called a "family day". We would get together with all our worldy relatives and exchange gifts. It usually fell on my grandparents anniversary.

But I know that I was a "fake witness" for a couple of years before I stopped attending meetings. I did it to be accepted by my family and so that I could still talk to them.

It was a means to an end. Call me fake I dont care. My family are so important to me. I dont want to lose them.

• minimus
    minimus

Family Day was not considered "pagan".....Simon, I'm away for a little while, and you think that you can start asking questions, huh?

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

All right, I admit it....my mom was one of the guilty ones. We initially didn't have a Family Day, but after a couple of years, she took pity on my sister and I and would get us presents either a week or so before Christmas, or just after Christmas. Hey, I was always out in field service on Christmas Day, so this gave me a little something to look forward to. It stopped when I got a little older, but it was nice while it lasted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit