What was the worst outfit you wore?

by outbackaussie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• outbackaussie
    outbackaussie

Remember going to conventions during the mid 80's? Sisters all dolled up in lolly-wrapper dresses of sparly taffeta with balloon sleeves and brothers strutting about with shiny grey siuts with narrow lapels and black leather ties? OOOOH what a look that was!

I had a shocking little number, that was a white full-skirted to just above the knee taffeta creation that rustled with every movement. It has bright multi-coloured splotches on it. It was hideous in hindsight, but I was popular as it was rather plunging in the front ;)

Who has some shockers to report??

Edited by - outbackaussie on 26 November 2002 7:13:1

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

I was still under the age of 10 by the time the 80's ended(thank god!), but I do remember those awful clothes. My mom used to make me wear the most awful outfits to the dc every year. Very bright, lots of ruffles, and puffy sleeves. And hats. Oh, those awful, scratchy, big-brimmed hats. Gag!!!

• JH
    JH

I bought a couple of suits when I joined in 1988, and being inactive since 1991, I didn't buy any cloths since. So when I show up 2 or 3 times a year, I always put back on my old cloths I bought in 1988. I gained maybe 10 lbs since, so you can imagine wearing old cloths, which are too small on top of that. I will not invest in cloths just for 2 or 3 meetings a year! I hate dub cloths.

• Buster
    Buster

OK, this is painful to share. I was in my late teens during the height of the disco era. So, I just had to have my hair parted down the middle. No it didn't want to go there by iteself, so I got a ... a .... perm - j ust a wave-perm that my 15-year-old sister did. Even so, it took a dog's age to blow-dry it so it would lay down on the upstream side, sort of.

But here goes (ouch!):

-Green VELVET Three-piece suit with a gold silk lining. Oh yeah, tight enough to read the year of the quarter in my pants pocket.

-Wide, tooled leather green belt.

-Light green BIG-collar plastic shirt.

-But to finish off the look, the piesta resistance - Green Patent Leather shoes, white tops, green tassles

I used to wear that monstrosity to the hall. I was in a clothes-horse competition with Darryl D. I thought it would be cathartic to write this. But I'm not so sure.

Edited by - buster on 26 November 2002 15:53:7

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

My worst outfit was when I was dressed up in the costume of the Little Israelite Girl in the drama of Naaman. It was horrible. I didn't score any points iwth the local gentry.... but the old people *loved it*... <grin>

CG

• HappyHeathen
    HappyHeathen

I don't know if things have changed, but when I was a teen in the late 60's, my friends and I would spend weeks prior to an assembly sewing our little butts off. I had to have a NEW outfit for every single day of the assembly WITH coordinated shoes and accessories. If any one of us wore a recycled dress, we had to endure the sneers of the other girls. LOL! We viewed the assemblies primarily as fashion shows and were dressing in the hopes of attracting boys! Then we would go the assembly halls and pretend to act so pious and spiritual.

I wonder if the dub girls still do this. Hmmmm.....

• shera
    shera

LOL Buster.....

• acsot
    acsot

Buster!

That was hysterical! I don't want to laugh out too loud here at work cause a JW works three desks from me and I can't have her knowing what I'm reading (I'm still "in good standing" - yeah right!). OMG that's so funny!!!! Yes, I remember the disco era all too well. Sadly so ....

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I am sure my wonderful childhood included an outfit like this...

• IronGland
    IronGland

A white suit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit