Question about the Annointed.

by patricia 17 Replies latest jw friends

• patricia
    patricia

When you were still a JW, what was your concept of what happened to those of the "annointed" who had died. I remember the scoffing and tittering when we were out in field service when a householder mentioned their belief that their loved ones were in "heaven". We were told to ask them "What was heaven like?, Were there pearly gates, did people eat up there, did they have emotions?" etc. This, I guess was to let them know how ridiculous this premise of "heaven" was. But I don't remember ever being given any insight about what happened to the annointed when they died. We were told they would be excellent kings (queens) and priests because they had been human, so would empathize with us down here, but we were never told just how that would take place. We were shown pictures of them sitting literally on Jesus right hand, but their actual residing place, their jobs, their relationship with humans, their relationship with each other, their spirit status (were they some form of angel) was never discussed. How did you picture the annointed when you thought about them being in heaven?

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

I pictured them to be bored. Seriously, I could not see the fun of going to heaven, judging millions of people, and afterwards start singing hyms for eternity...... Naturally, that feeling was proof enough that I had the "earthly hope". Lol.

• dsgal
    dsgal

I was always glad I wasn't one of them.Can you imagine trying to scratch your nose and it's not there?Oooh!!

• herk
    herk

Patricia,

For me, your question is most interesting. It made me realize something a bit profound. When Nathan Knorr and Grant Suiter, for example, were still alive, I dreaded being in their company. They had a way of intimidating us small people by their mannerisms and the way they spoke to us. After they died, I felt a measure of relief. I lost my dread of them.

If I really believed they were in heaven and still alive, nothing should have changed, except that I probably should have felt a greater dread. Now they would be able to see my every move and hear my every word, perhaps even know what I was thinking. Actually, I gave such men less and less thought as time passed by after they became dead.

I think I was a typical JW. So you've given me reason to believe that the average JW doesn't really think deeply about the implications of a heavenly existence for "the anointed."

Herk

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

I once belonged to a congregation that had "ANOINTED ONES".Going door to door with one of the ANOINTED ONES,I noticed that he always said the same thing,"WERE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN GOD'S KINGDOM".I thought to myself if only the person at the door knew who it was that was asking that question.My! How priviledged I was to be working out in the field with one of the ANOINTED.When he got to Heaven would he put in a good word for me and my family.I thought living forever on a paradise earth was a certainty.Surely, my Anointed Brother would know that I most certainly was interested in"GOD'S KINGDOM".Another Anointed One asked me and my wife,"What do you think JEHOVAH has been doing for all Eternity"? We answered, we don't know! You must know,being one of his Anointed Ones. He smiled and said,"Preparing for an Eternity"! As to what they will be doing in Heaven.Whatever the Master tells them to do.My thought is that, ALL Christians are Anointed.I know that I didn't answer your question,just wanted to share this with you.Blueblades

• rocky220
    rocky220

rocky220 [from the annoyed with the allegedly "annointed" class]

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

144,000 very old, very smelly and very barking mad people. We had 4 of them in our cong. in the mid-late 80's, all as old/smelly/barking mad as each other, so it was difficult not to picture the other 143,996 being exactly the same. One of them only ever seemed to say "probably you may be saved in the day of Jeeyooover's anger" in a forboding tone, so I imagined them all saying that to each other up in heaven as well. Childish I know.

ig.

• Valis
    Valis

I wonder if Jehovah has all the seraphim dressed up like candy stripers emptying the bed pans and catheters of the annointed...And I'm sure the play Bible bingo every Friday night just before enema hour w/St. Peter.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

LOL@Valis What an image!

ig

• patricia
    patricia

Added to my initial question - I know that most of us here do not believe that the 144,000 is a literal number. But do you believe that there is a symbolic 144,000 and a separate great crowd, or do we all have the option of living on earth or in heaven? If there is a symbolic 144,000 class that do go to heaven, what happens then? Can they communicate with us? Are they like guardian angels?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit