Baptize your own kids?! Why not?

by nicolaou 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU .

Matthew 28:19,20 NWT

Well some here might still like to see their children make a dedication to God. If so, how would you arrange for their non-denominational baptism? Frankly I don't see anything wrong with baptising them yourelf just as Jesus directed and as was the custom for family heads in the 1st Century. (Does sound a bit 'Ned Flanders' though doesn't it?)

Wonder what the Society would think if the brothers started baptising their own children! Would they accept the baptisms as valid? Would there be any censure of those who took such an 'independant' course? (independant of whom though )

Nic' ("diddly")

Edited by - nicolaou on 23 November 2002 2:12:0

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Good topic Nic, I have thought of this often too.

I was baptized in 1982 back when the question where not about dedicating your life to an organization.

I would like to get baptized again, once I feel ready for it, a little more study and mediation on what I believe is still in order.

I would like to get the basics down so I can pass them on to my kids. My husband is doing alot of deep study,,,, he has always been a student of the bible and now is reading it with new "eyes". Eyes of knowledge and freedom from cult dogma. I still look to him as my spiritual head in many ways, because I think he is gifted with a better understanding of the deep spiritual things than I am. I am not one to just read and understand,,,,,,, he can always help me to reason and understand things in away that reaches my heart.

We have discussed already celebrating the Memorial, or whatever it is really called, our of respect and thanks for what Jesus has done for us. So I think baptizing the children , once we study with them would be our next step. They all 3 still believe in God and Jesus.

I think it is good to be dedicated to God and believe that he will resurrect us to heaven or earth. To me it will be a peaceful feeling knowing my children are saved and they believe it. You never know when something could happen and our lives my end sooner than we want. It would be a good feeling for my kids to know they are not alone out there, if they should pass. It is hard to say, it is hard to think about , but my youngest son, is always asking questions about what happens when we die. I think he NEEDS to believe in something. I don't know all the answers to what happens to us. But I want to believe , I do believe for the most part, but I need to work on my faith too. I try to tell him that as long as we love Jesus and trust him we will be saved. He still worries about armeggedon.

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

Well some here might still like to see their children make a dedication to God. If so, how would you arrange for their non-denominational baptism? Frankly I don't see anything wrong with baptizing them yourself just as Jesus directed and as was the custom for family heads in the 1st Century. (Does sound a bit 'Ned Flanders' though doesn't it?)

Nic,

No problem. This is not only proper but a natural function of the faith. It is not the WT's business it is a function of your dedication and ministry not theirs.

Joseph

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Questions to ask your children:

0 Have you told your mother about all your sins?

0a ALL of them?

1 On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to the Flanders' family god and vowed to do the will of our tribal god?

2 Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as a member of the Flanders family in association with god's spirit-directed tribe, The Flanders?

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Great topic!

The Watchtower Org. is so obsessed with itself that it misses the simple purity of Jesus' message.

I agree, there is no prohibition in the teachings of Jesus to a simple baptism of children performed by their parents.

IW

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I did. Later on I took him to church where a formal baptism/ceremony was celebrated, but with the Lord as witness, he had already been baptised.

The r.c. church acknowledges that anyone may perform a baptismal rite.

One day I poured water onto the ground and asked for the baptism of all babies not with us, the unborn and all.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 24 November 2002 23:10:52

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Paduan,

Where does the official Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church teach what you just claim?

The r.c. church acknowledges that anyone may perform a baptismal rite.

Give me the reference I just looked at the New Catichism and could not find it. Or is this just and Americaniesed individualist self proclamation. Remember as a Papist you have a NEW Governing Body: RCC Official Magisterium.....

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

The Bible Does teach Peado Baptism as Children of Believers are part of the promise of the Covenant of Grace, Now this may ruffel the feathers of our Baptist Friends but this is why they reject the total backage of Calvinism/Reformed theology.

Gen 17:7-13

7 I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. 8 The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God."
    9 Then God said to Abraham, "As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come. 10 This is my covenant with you and your descendants after you, the covenant you are to keep: Every male among you shall be circumcised. 11 You are to undergo circumcision, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and you. 12 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner-those who are not your offspring. 13 Whether born in your household or bought with your money, they must be circumcised. My covenant in your flesh is to be an everlasting covenant. (cf. Gen 15)

Acts. 16:31-34

31 They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his family were baptized. 34 The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God--he and his whole family.

Childeren of Believers are seen as disiples and are expecter to be obedient in the Lord

Eph 6:1-4

1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 "Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise-- 3 "that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth." 4 Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. (cf. Ex 20:12 and Deut. 5:16)

Eph 6:3 incluedes covenant language a promise to the children.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

V. WHO CAN BAPTIZE?

1256 The ordinary ministers of Baptism are the bishop and priest and, in the Latin Church, also the deacon. 57 In case of necessity, anyone, even a nonbaptized person, with the required intention, can baptize NT , by using the Trinitarian baptismal formula. (Father, Son & Holy Spirit)

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Is this from the New Catachism if so what page and which ed..

The isbn number will help also

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit