2002 Service Year Report

by ignored_one 30 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws
    With all due respect, how many people when active JW's turned in their time and "inflated" their hours so as to appear more spiritual or righteous? I think just about all of us did it. So, it goes without saying that these numbers are inflated.

Although I don't think it would have been beyond me, I don't think I ever lied on the reports. After years of knocking on doors and trying to get people to accept magazines, I felt leaving magazines at a laundromat without talking to anybody was a cheap way of counting mags. It felt like cheating, but my pioneer friend assured me it counted as a placement.

But, I imagine the pressure is now on. The more they lose ground, the more they do things to try to get numbers up. Like the 15-minute reporting and collecting time sheets at the book study. I'm SURE every time the CO/DO comes around, they hit up the people hard to get more time in. Eventually, some people get sick of the nagging over and over and realize, hey, I can do this. All I have to do is add an hour or two on my sheet, not in real life. And the more they place emphasis on hours, the more likely this is to happen. If I'm on the edge of that moral ground, all the nagging would have pushed me over it.

• blondie
    blondie
    Wow, overall, a 17 hour/month average (total hours / avg pub / 12 months). I remember the goal our congergation had was to get 10 hours/month in.

jws, this includes the publishers and the pioneers together. When I factor out the pioneers, the monthly rate per publisher is 7.8 hours.

Blondie

• roybatty
    roybatty
    I'm SURE every time the CO/DO comes around, they hit up the people hard to get more time in.

Oh yeah, it was always a pain in the buck trying to get everyone to get their "missing hours" turned in before the CO came around. Basically what would happen is a list was made of publishers who were missing time for certain months. Then these names were given to the bookstudy conductor of each individual and this elder did everything possible to get this time.

Now picture this. Here's Brother John Doe who's missing time for January, March and May. An elder would see him at the Hall and "remind" him to get this missing time in. What would Brother Doe normally do? He'd simply guess. What actually was true was that he didn't really get any time for those months but it was so much easier to write something down just to get Elder Jackass off of his case.

• blondie
    blondie

Roybatty, I am rolling on the floor laughing. Not really, I have to stay in bed. I remember those days. What a laugh! I can remember one brother just wrote out slips with 1 hour marked on them and turned them in every month. Why, because the brothers didn't like him turning one in every 6 months with 6 hours on it. It looked better to put in 1 hour a month. It's like elders that auxiliary pioneer one month for 50 hours then only get in 5 hours per month the other 5. The monthly average is 12 hours then for the brother. Looks good on paper.

Blondie

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

I too would just write in a number to keep them at bay and they never said anything about it.

• justhuman
    justhuman

I would say that field service hours means nothing. From my experience and specially pioneers use nice technics to raise up the hours. I remember a pioneer who used to take one book study out for dinner, or to attend to the wedding of a Borg and then to the reception, and like that he could add 4-5 hours in the "quality" field service. Reporting hours it is bullshit, and the Borgs know it. Even if we estimate the hours that you need for traveling for one place to another, also the 15 minute coffee brakes that they count them as preaching work, actually a very small part of this hours represents the real preaching time.

But again what is the problem for the Org to lie about their preaching activity since they lie almost in eveything they say?

• the dog
    the dog

bttt

• Gordy
    Gordy

Hi All,

Please could someone explain this new "15 minute" ruling, regarding reporting field service.

Having been out of the JW's for a while I seem to have missed on this new way of reporting.

Is it applicable to Britain also.

• jws
    jws
    Please could someone explain this new "15 minute" ruling, regarding reporting field service.

I've been out for a while too, so if you need more details, somebody else is going to have to chime in.

Basically, you always had to report hours in whole hours. Now, I believe if you're elderly/infirm, you can report in increments of 15 minutes. This might only be allowed for special cases, if I understand it right.

This does several things to increase numbers. First, if these people had a hard time getting in an hour's worth before, they now only need 15 minutes. This means they can now count as a publisher and their time, little as it is also counts towards total hours. What's more, it maybe even has a shaming effect. Whereas previously, you could probably get away with not doing field service, there might be a potential shame-factor. "C'mon, only 15 minutes, you can do that much". So, people who might not have even tried might be guilted into doing so. On the downside, 15 minutes brings your average hours per publisher down.

If the 15 minute rule applies for other publishers (not just special cases) and you can turn in, say, 6 hours, 15 minutes, then hours also go up. For instance, you're out 2 hours, 10 minutes. Previously, a lot of people might say "2 hours". Whereas now, they might round that up to 2 hours, 15 minutes. All these little quarter-hours can add up to a lot. But, like I said, not sure if regular publishers can do this.

• Osarsif
    Osarsif

Statistics of Jehovah's Witnesses
    updated November 30, 2002 using 2002 service year report
    http://www.jwic.com/stat.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit