Really Downsizing? Then Howcome....

by CaptainSchmideo 13 Replies latest jw friends

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

At tonight's Service Meeting (U.S.), another one of those "thank you for your continued contributions (hint hint, beg beg)" letters was read.

In the text, they talked about needing funds to renovate/remodel the Squibb and 107 (I think that's the right number) in an effort to bring them up to building guidelines that match the other branch facilities. This doesn't sound like shutting down in NY and retiring to Patterson, as I saw in an earlier thread.

Anybody in the know want to add some insight to this?

• The_Desert_Fox
    The_Desert_Fox

Sounds like they plan to be around for a while.

Erwin

• Gopher
    Gopher

The publishing machine rolls on and on.... But I wonder what they're saying in the magazines these days? "The end is near"??? Isn't that message wearing a bit thin?

• Satanus
    Satanus

Well, contrary to the expectations/hopes of many of us, they also had many increases this year. Hmmm.

SS

• Xena
    Xena
    they also had many increases this year. Hmmm

Probably because dispite the fact that they are in the "last days" they still keep having kids lol I know that was the only way I got a bible study!

I used to wonder when they would tell us to simplify our lives and live like we really expected the end to come any day...and then THEY would begin these huge building projects...oh wait I forgot, Jehovah was going to allow those buildings to continue standing...(rolling eyes here)

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Good point Gopher.

This makes me wunder.
    How come they've essentially preached "the end is near, so don't work to build a life in "this system". Don't save for retirement. Don't invest in material possessions. Don't get caught up in the trappings of so-called security this system offers."
    Then they go, "just send us your money so we can build and save and invest and spend."

• benext
    benext

If I'm remembering correctly the Squibb building is 25 Columbia Heights, which is the location of the GB offices. 107 is a residence building. This would still account for printing being moved out of the city from Furman and Adams Sts.

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

I heard the same letter about remodeling a couple of buildings in New York. One of them was the 107 building, it seems that the cafeteria had to be shut down a couple of years ago due to health problems. On the bright side the upgrades might be to make the building more marketable, but I think they just want to spend money on their empire.

The numbers do show increases. I wonder how much the world population has increased over the last year (probably more than 3%). We live in an area just outside of Las Vegas with a 13 % growth rate. So, every now and then I would hear that Jehovah blessed us because of our growth, which would not even compare to the growth of the community. But, if you attended a hall that was in an area that had no growth, the trend at the hall would be stagnant or show a negative trend (obviously no blessing from Jehovah there).

• larc
    larc

The world population growth is about 1.5%.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

As we all know (oh, God, that sounds like the start of a Watchtower comment - forgive me!), the Society is marvelous at saying one thing in print and from the platform and doing exactly the opposite. Maybe that's just a ploy to get more money and keep the masses soothed.

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit