Internet Influence

by JH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I hope others that are feeling lonely and confused out their find this site or others like it so they too can get on with their recovery.
    Have you noticed the number of people who signed up on Randys' site? The number is up to 2675 so far. Just imagine how many that have left that haven't even found the web sites yet.

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Nope, not for me. The questions I have have been nagging me for years and do not stem from any outside influence whatsoever. Just me thinking and wondering.

I started poking around on the internet just to see if others felt the same way or not. I was somewhat surprised to find that many share the same doubts and subsequent conclusions!

I was raised as a Witness and have been "strong" for many years, serving in various capacities (albeit with those nagging doubts banging around in the vacuous back of my head). As a result of this "strength", I must confess that I've always lumped togther apostates, opposers, and those who "fell away" as ones who were disgruntled over "human" issues, or were at odds with the Society because of major doctrinal disagreements, etc., etc..

While this may be true too in some cases, I am finding (much to my interest and delight) that I'm not some lone faithless slob. I have always suffered with a measure of guilt for having these doubts, and questioning certain things. Having never discussed this with anyone, I thought it might just be me. Wished I could "get a grip", "pull myself back in line", quite wondering about these questions. I've thought, "What's wrong with me? Why am I having these doubts? What, am I some kind of "spiritual pervert" or something??"

What a relief to read that many of the very things that have made me go hmmm, are in other's minds as well!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey JH,a great many of us were out before the internet.Alot thought they were alone and didn`t realize how many of us there were until they found boards like this.I sure didn`t realize it untill I started surfing the net.The WBTS biggest enemy is information.They like to raise dubs like mushrooms,keep them in the dark and feed them plenty of shit..LOL...OUTLAW

• freedom96
    freedom96

I was already out, but this site helps me remember reasons why the WTS is so messed up. I especially like the personal experiences.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Nope. I had plenty of ammo/reason to leave without the internet.

In fact, I wouldn't even be here if eyegirl and scootergirl hadn't informed of it. It never crossed my mind that such a place existed, nor did it cross my mind to research the JW's. I just wanted out. I knew something wasn't right. My spidey sense was off the chart...

• reubenfine
    reubenfine
    I left before the internet but it was responsible for my enlightment and freedom from the cult. The CofC book was mentioned and I bought it from Amazon.com. After that read I knew I had been right in moving on with my life apart from the JWs. I'm here because I enjoy the company of people who understand.

Ditto to that!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I quit in 1989, before Al Gore invented the Internet. But this site has certainly helped me realize that I'm not the only one (like the elders told me back then).

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

No. I left because I was an atheist. The issue of who was the true religion was a moot point, and it made no sense to remain an active JW. I didn't have much, if anything, against the JW religion at the time. Which is probably why I survived the elders' investigation.

I am glad for the Net, as it certainly opened my eyes.

Richard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit