Brain Washing

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Realist
    Realist

Gopher,

still could anyone come up with a more unrealistic story than paradise on earth? how desperate does one have to be to fall for that?

• Gopher
    Gopher

Yes people have come up with more unrealistic stories than "paradise on earth". What about the cult that committed suicide when a comet passed by the earth, thinking that they would somehow be swept through the tail of the comet into heaven and their paradise? That's even crazier than what the JW's teach !! At least the JW's have a small dose of logic to make their promise sound believable, that logic being "Adam and Eve were created in paradise, and if they didn't sin they could have lived forever...", which is a leap of logic but not as big as some that the suicide cults have taken.

• larc
    larc

Some questions for the audience. Do parents brain wash their children? Do sales people brain wash their customers? Does a man who wants to marry a woman brain wash his prospective wife? If you get the drift of my questions, I think brain washing and a very fuzzy term. Personally, I would stick to a more neutral term, "interpersonal influence".

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

It has taken me 6 years to go from an elder lying about how he dealt with my suicidal son, to being able to ask questions about what I believed without feeling like the sky was crashing.

On a more objective note, If you cannot criticize leadership, you are in a cult.

If you are mortified to, or are unable to think critically about what you believe, you have been brainwashed.

Ironically, we can only see this now that we are out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit