To: Lurking Elders or Former Elders

by somebody 18 Replies latest jw friends

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    The elders used the WTS's legal counsel and trusted WTS legal counsel to protect their interests. Absolutely insane, in my mind, when their house and life savings would be on the line.

But Hawk, these lawyers are champions of Jehovah, and have his spirit(TM)! There's no way Satan's wicked system can bring them down!!!!

• somebody
    somebody

hawkaw,

Can you try and explain the principle/agent relationship a little more for those of us like me to understand?

As in regards to publishers being "agents" too? I don't understand how the WBTS can be a "legal agent" for publishers/JWs to use, but yet they can't use them LEGALLY.

Meanwhile,

can you refresh my memory as to the Vicky Boer case so I can understnad more? In e-mail if it's too much here on the board?

Thanks!

peace,

zev's buddy

Edited by - somebody on 20 November 2002 16:13:17

• JT
    JT
    The WTS is the corporation or the principle. The agents of the corporation are MSs and Elders. A good lawyer will easily tell you regular baptized publishers are also "agents" too. As agents of the corporation, if the elders screw up while doing their duties for the WTS, then the WTS would be vicarously liable for any improper action/inaction done by the elders.

excellent point, but allow me to share alittle info i thought was interesting-

for years the society has viewed CO, DO as DIRECT reps of theirs if you look back at some of the old district convention programs and news releases from the news desk as well as the introduction of speakers esp the main talk on sunday the speaker was a rep of the wt

since the wt DIRECTLY appoints Elders, ms, co, pioneers , do they are the only names they have for the most part of jw, hell they don't even have the names of all who claim to be annointed, but they do have the names of ALL THOSE WHOM THEY HAVE APPOINTED

so what they do and say being that they are reps of the wt society concerns them greatly and for that reason the WT society no longer appoints elders, ms pio co do- the CHRISTAIN CONGO OF JW DOES of course the christain congo of jw HAS NO PROPERTY OR MONEY

THE List of 6 things NOT TO DO clearly shows that they are doing everything in their power to distance themselves from the very ones that THEY HAVE APPOINTED

as has been stated they will cut bait and run

• chester
    chester

James,

That is indeed some interesting information.

• wheelwithinwheel
    wheelwithinwheel

The unofficial WT viewpoint I've heard about the 6 points is that the soc. had no choice on this matter because of all the stupid bumbling elders making all sorts of idiotic decisions. While this may have some bearing, one must keep in mind that, as 'somebody' has mentioned, all procedures must be by the Book and serious cases all always discussed and directed by WT legal ("phone mother, you will be told what to do")

'hawk's' point about elder's having their own attorneys ... agreed but,

First, I don't think most elders would even think about getting their own legal counsel. (What would I need a worldly lawyer for. Leave it in Jehovah's capable hands)

Second, if one did come up with such an absurd idea, I believe he would be made to understand that that would be the end of his eldership duties and also the end of any WT support (You can't even consult a 'worldly' psychiatrist let alone a 'worldly' attorney). The WT would not allow a worldly lawyer to shift the responsibility onto their shoulders.

Just another thought: some years ago a group of elders and C.O.s , D. O.s were discussing legal responsibility and it was mentioned that the soc. didn't bother to carry insurance but had a fund set aside in the unlikely case they would be found legally responsible. Anyone else heard this. If it's true the fund may not be sufficient in the coming years.

Edited by - wheelwithinwheel on 21 November 2002 15:55:43

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    The unofficial WT viewpoint I've heard about the 6 points is that the soc. had no choice on this matter because of all the stupid bumbling elders making all sorts of idiotic decisions.

That's a conveinent cop out for JWs to say, but it's not reality. Just shows you a JW can justify ANYTHING in their mind to hold to their world-view.

If an organization has established, printed policy on handling a certain matter, and one of it's reps/employees/etc mis-handles that matter by not following policy, then as it should be, the person in question will be held responsible. But the org stands responsible for the results of it's rep upholding the orgs policy. In a related manner, it would be in that org's best interest to ensure that it's reps/employees were always up to speed (well educated) with the latest company policy too.

That is what the WTBTS is trying to prevent here - is the fall out from elders/CO/DO following established WT policy. We all know it's WT policy, but if the WT can spin it into putting the responsibility on the elder/CO/DO it will do so. It has done so and will always do so, until some gov't or court steps in and say 'enough'.

I think it's true that the WTBTS is a self-insured entity.

• benext
    benext

Some thoughts. Since recommendations are made at the time of the CO's visit and he has to sign off on it the connection to the Society remains intact. There are many elders who go on personal opinion and will "screw up" If someone did that on their secular job the company's not hiring counsel for you. The WT does have insurance. It paid out on a case of a kid who fell on a crack in the sidewalk outside the KH. They may not have insurance in cases of abuse.

• JT
    JT

We all know it's WT policy, but if the WT can spin it into putting the responsibility on the elder/CO/DO it will do so. It has done so and will always do so, until some gov't or court steps in and say 'enough'
    bottom line and this is what is done over and over and over

• somebody
    somebody

My, how things have changed over the years. Thanks to all the victims and other who have come forward with THE TRUTH about what goes on INSIDE the org.!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit