Cop Out!!

by LuckyLucy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Why do most of you blame being a JW for all your problems?If you hadn't have became a jw you would have been a catholic ,a mormon ect.ect.ect. or even worse. Don't you think there is abuse and disfunction in every religion,cult....?? I think its just a cop out...!!

• shera
    shera

I don't blame all my problems on being a JW,but being a JW sure did add to it.Yep I agree there is sickos in all religion....even sicko's in no religion.

Someone who is raised in it,has nothing elese to blame.I wasn't raised a JW and I still had a disfunctional family.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Yes there is abuse, emotional-mental-sexual- in all religions.

But the wbts has a phd in that area. Piled higher and deeper.

Outoftheorg

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I was born a JW, well actually I was 3 , so I have no other memories but JW.

Why do you say it is a cop out LL? That is a bold statement, because this is a place where people come to talk about their JW experience. Many here NEED to express themselves and this is a good place for it. By the way you said this, it seems like listening to everyone's cop out cries, you are in some way annoyed by it. Maybe that is not what you mean but that is the first impression I got from what you said.

There is something to say about alot of us who were raised by JW, because our parents were JW therefore they were themselves dyfunctional. Add JW plus dyfunctional you get a whammy of a list of problems. I am not sure about some of the other religons like Mormons, etc. I consider them cult like too, but being catholic and baptist would have been a hell of a lot better than JW. At least you could celebrate holidays, birthdays, and planned ahead for your life,,,,,,,,,not so with JW. So that is why so many of us are bitter.

I don't think you have a clue, by your comment , I don't think a single soul on this forum is using JW for a cop out. To me a cop out is a term used when someone uses something for an excuse for their behavoir just because they want an excuse for it. Again I will say being JW is not a cop out it is a symptom of years of abuse.

And if you listen closely you will see that many here don't just blame being JW for all of their problems, they are not that stupid, they see things for what they are,,,, you are dealing with alot of intelligent people here, who I am sure don't want to be patronized by your cop out idea.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I don't think that most people are using involvement with the WTS are using it as a crutch, or a cop out. As different as we are, we all had the WTS experience.

Some of us don't care, and go on. Others learn from what happened, and go on. For those that do use it to not further their life, they probably would use anything to make that excuse. It just happens that they used to be a witness.

• Simon
    Simon

I can see both sides to be honest.

Yes, some people try to hang too many of their problems on having been a JW but then it's easy to minimise the dramatic effect that having been a JW can really have on your life and relationships.

I guess none of us really know what we would have been without the JW 'experience' (sounds like a theme park ride!) so maybe we'll never know.

Edited by - Simon on 19 November 2002 17:24:43

• shera
    shera

I have to admit,in some ways the Jw's made me a stronger person...AFTER I LEFT.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

In regards to your above statement - I would have to agree whole-heartedly - you cannot use your life as a JW (or any other traumatic event) to blame for what choices you make in the here and now.

But, if the implication that most who post here are "blaming" their problems on being JW's, I guess I'd have to ask what brings you here?

• Xena
    Xena
    Why do most of you blame being a JW for all your problems?

Seems kinda general...could you be more specific? Who is blaming and for what problems exactly? I feel being a JW had some negative and some positive effects on my life. I like to vent about the negative every now and then and discuss and compare the positive.

If you hadn't have became a jw you would have been a catholic ,a mormon ect.ect.ect. or even worse.

I am curious as to what the even worse is....

Don't you think there is abuse and disfunction in every religion,cult....??

Well most other religions don't make your family's shun you when you quit going....they don't expect every member of the congergation to be a full time minister...they don't expect exact obedience to their doctrine or you are disfellowshipped...but yes you are right I am sure there are negatives to every religion.

I think its just a cop out...!!

Or is it is a way to try and come to terms with who we are and why we are this way...

Edited by - Xena on 19 November 2002 17:49:1

• Crazy151drinker
    Crazy151drinker

Sorry LL but since I am a NON exJW I have to disagree. I am perfectly happy with being Lutheran. We dont have people controlling us, covering up pedohiles, destroying our families, ruining scripture, etc...etc... so your Theory that NON JWs are worse is Bullshit.

Edited by - crazy151drinker on 19 November 2002 17:48:36

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit