Sisters reunited after nearly a decade

by Nathan Natas 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_111802WABsistersreunite.1ce5a894.html

Sisters reunited after nearly a decade

11/18/2002

By ARTURO SANTIAGO / KING 5 News

SEATTLE - The flowers and the hand-painted poster didn't say anything of the anticipation, of the pounding inside Audrey Moreland's chest.

"My heart feels like it's outside of my body right now. I'd probably just let her know that I love her, and that I love her no matter what," she said Monday.

And then suddenly, nearly a decade of waiting was over.

Twenty-nine-year old Audrey Moreland and 19-year-old Jennifer Barboza are sisters, reunited Monday.

Together at last!

Nine years ago Audrey left Jennifer in Sacramento, Calif., and moved to Seattle to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses her family belongs to.

Because she did so, contact between Audrey and her family was forbidden.

"I can't even describe it. I think if you have been through a situation where you've lost everything that you've known, then maybe you'd understand," said Audrey.

"I was becoming a woman, high school, boyfriends, everything, and it just felt like my best friend should be there and she wasn't," she said.

Jennifer's heart ached to see her older sister. She knew her family and the Jehovah's Witnesses would not approve, but she's in the process of leaving the religion herself and she didn't want to miss out on this moment or to wait another nine years to see her sister again.

"Nope, no not again, that was too hard ... I don't want to do that again," said Jennifer.

This visit will be four days long. They'll go shopping, have a day at the spa, and then some sight seeing.

They say they'll be sisters, the way they're supposed to be.

"I haven't been this happy in nine years. I haven't been this happy," said Audrey.

The sisters are already planning another visit for next spring. They say that one will last an entire week.

• shera
    shera

Now that is good news

• Mulan
    Mulan

Now that's the kind of publicity that hurts them a lot!

I don't know how I missed this one. I live in the area.

• hamptonite21
    hamptonite21

I second that

• jimbob
    jimbob

How can this be??......Family ties are so important in the org....The Society would never dream of breaking up a family....

• found
    found

Great story to post!

That has also recently happened to me. My sister came to visit me a couple of months ago after recently being df'd. I have been out for about 5 years. It is wonderful to have her back in my life!! There are alot of us (siblings) but we are the only two black sheep so far....however, one never knows....

Found

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I just love happy endings. This put a big smile on my face.

• myself
    myself

What a great story. I am with lilacs, I love a happy ending, the pic says it all.

• CBeMe
    CBeMe

That is wonderful, I am so happy for those sisters to be together again.

JW's and their "family values". Yea right.

CBeMe

• Celia
    Celia

What a great article ! How did the journalist come across this story I wonder... Did the older sister come forward and told him about being shunned by her JW family? We need more of these (and they are there, no need to invent them...) all over the newspapers, all over the country.

Edited by - Celia on 19 November 2002 6:43:9

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit