Did anyone accuse you of being materialistic?

by freedom96 22 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

No one ever called me materialistic to my face, but they did behind my back. Back when I was young, lived alone, had several cars, nice stuff and I did that working 3 days a week. After getting married I settled down and got a full-time job and we bought a house. Nothing fancy but a place we could call our own. This one elder, who had moved South from up north, had retired from his 30 some year government job, sold his house up there and bought a huge, I mean, huge house down here kept after me and other young brothers to quit our full-time jobs, sell our houses and pioneer. He always said, "Why do you want to work full-time when you could be pioneering? Sell your house and extra cars and be a spiritual man."

The one thing I don't understand about the idea of not owning your home makes no sense. It is cheaper to own than rent. Not to mention the tax breaks. If you can afford to own then you should do it. It makes financial sense. But to the JWs, owning is like the plague. Why is that?

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

nothing was ever said about me arriving in my lotus esprit. just a few smiles and admiring looks from some of the elders!

• undercover
    undercover
    I mentioned that there were "service rigs" in the parking lot that cost 3 times as much as I paid for my Vette. Service rigs owned by elders."

That always killed me. Elders families coming to the mtgs in big SUVs. That was ok. But when we showed up in our sports car(that was bought second hand for a lot less than these SUVS) we got looked down on.

Because of riding in many a mini-van in service over the years, I will never, ever, never own a mini-van. Scourge of the highway. No offense to mini-van owners

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

To the average dub, a person is materialistic if they are richer than we are!

You nailed it Ozzie, it's the same everywhere. Jealousy was the rule of the day. How dare you own something nicer than what I have. The 'materialistic' label was a really convienent one to throw about whenever someone wanted to nitpick at you.

• waiting
    waiting

Oh, we got called

stiff necked

materialistic

making a name for one's self

to our face, and behind our backs. The jerk PO even told others that we "took advantage of the congregation's finances" during a sale - even though the WT lawyer told us to go ahead and sue that elder for libal. "Happens all the time."

Actually, anyone who doesn't fit in jw style will be negatively labeled. If your kids don't fit in, you'll be labeled. If your car, your house, your job, your suit, your hair, your jewelry, your tone of voice, your.......................you will be negatively labled.

It's the JW Way.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Ozzie! You Big Dummy!

That always killed me. Elders families coming to the mtgs in big SUVs. That was ok.

Because SUV's are Big Four Door Vehicles.............and every JW knows that that spells "spiritually mature." ie: can take many out in Service.

But when we showed up in our sports car(that was bought second hand for a lot less than these SUVS) we got looked down on.

Of course you were looked down upon! Sports cars SCREAM independent thinker - not enough time in service - getting others to think about things other than "spiritual." ie: can take many out in Service.

Good Grief Man! No WONDER you're not an elder!

waiting

JW motto: A label for every person - every person labeled & in their labled place.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

I had to laugh when I read that. I've been acused of being nuts for being tooooo generous. I'm working on it though.

I give a lot of stuff away , or have given a lot of stuff away and many times heard "ARE YOU NUTS! You have any idea how much that will be worth in a few years!" or how much it's worth now.

The only thing I get attached to are my cars and a few collectables. I've even given away appliances and furniture. Hell if I have more then I need and some one need something what the heck! My STUFF ain't goin with me when I die.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 19 November 2002 13:20:39

• Mulan
    Mulan

Lady Lee, we had a talk one time about materialism, and the speaker said that poor people are the most materialistic because they are constantly stretching their dollars and thinking about money.........much more than a person does, who actually has money. Of course we all thought that was 'right on".

It's funny that all the 'star' elders and the men on the regional building committees, and the ones who could take time off to do special privileges, were the ones with money, their own businesses, etc. The CO's and DO's really loved them too...............who wouldn't? Look what they got from them. One DO would call my brother everytime he was in town, because my brother would let him drive his Jaguar during pre Assembly work, so the wifey poo could take the "company car" out in service. I am quite sure my brother rose high in Administration, not because he was so talented, but because he had money.

• butalbee
    butalbee

It's great to have things, but it's even greater to give.

• 4horsemen
    4horsemen

JW's definition of "materialistic" = anyone who has more than they do. Or of a supposed better quality. 2 door car, SUV's, home ownership, college degrees, job other than janitor, landscaper, pool cleaner, or contractor. More than 5 suits that look like you bought them at a place other than Goodwill. Your kids wearing Nikes. Wifey with dress(es) shorter than the ankles that appears to have been purchased sometime after the 1970's.

What's ironic in their quest to store up treasure in heaven is that by actively encouraging an ignoramus mentality (no college, no technical ability) is that with manufacturing jobs going the way of Mexico, China, etc, the only real jobs available to people without training are service/retail. When typically are the busiest days for such establishments? The weekends. Brutal hours, hard work, little pay.

This is exactly what is happening to many JW I know. My aunt (late 50's) got a new boss. For years she was able to avoid weekend work with a boss that liked her. Of course, now that means Sat & Sun work. Furthermore, it would be redundant to say she wont be able to retire at 65 with her meager salary and no thought to retirement planning/health ins. Or probably at 75 either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit