English Translation To Er..Um...US English?

by Englishman 37 Replies latest jw friends

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

if you say fanny in America,it means your backside(in England something different),and in America if you're upset you may say it's a bummer(again,something completely different in England).

• Englishman
    Englishman
    I guess you don't wipe your mouth with a napkin then?

No, I use a serviette like everyone else!

Englishman.

• Valis
    Valis

I also wanted to add that many of the phrases listed are used here, but for the most part it is very regional. Many of those terms are still alive and used every day by people who live or grew up in (duh) New England. He takes the tram and checks the post everyday while the pipe tobacco burns holes through his trousers...*L*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Robdar
    Robdar

Earlier this year I was talking on the phone to one of my girlfriends in England. I wanted the correct spelling of her last name for a thank you card that I was sending her. Her last name has a "z" in it. She, of course, said "zed" and I was completely lost. She was lost too because she couldn't remember the American term for "zed". Thank goodness we finally figured out what we were talking about.

Eman, I am loving this English/American translation. Each time I go to England, I get confused. Next year, I will hopefully be speaking like a native. Thanks again.

Robyn

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

I wonder if the WBTS "translates" from "American" English to "proper" English in their magazines?

I've not really noticed a Yankeedoodledandyness about them, so perhaps they do?

Spanner ( aka wrench )

• roybatty
    roybatty

Wow, this is weird. Just this morning a guy from England called me an "asshole." What do you think he meant by that?

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just this morning a guy from England called me an "asshole." What do you think he meant by that?

It's actually a traditional greeting of endearment to some one who is held in high regard.

The normal response would be: "Well my old cuckold, I feel rather partial to the idea of rogering your missus, are you up for a threesome?"

Englishman.

Edited by - Englishman on 18 November 2002 15:39:30

• roybatty
    roybatty

LOL E-man!

• terabletera
    terabletera

That was great Eman. I have a British friend that I correspond with a great deal and we do often laugh at what we say to eachother.

I noticed that if someone is "hitting on you" to a British person you would say that they are "chatting you up". British also use the term "whilst" and I use "while" that one is wierd.

Oh made the fool of myself one time saying I was gonna kick someone in the fanny! har har har!

• Swan
    Swan

We have a chap at work who likes eggy bread, bangers, and mash.

We say French toast, sausages, and mashed potatoes.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit