Prayers through the name of Jesus?

by ozziepost 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, JR, they teach that too. The point here is that the WTS teaches that all people must pray through Jesus only, not saints or Mary, and they base this on 1 Timothy 2:5 where it says Jesus is the only mediator and thus he is the only one we can pray through. If Jesus is only the mediator for 144,000, then who do the rest of mankind pray through?

*** w97 2/15 28 Agreement Between "God's Temple" and Idols in Greece? ***
    Furthermore, in a very clear way, the Scriptures rule out the idea of praying to "saints " in order for them to act as intercessors with God. In his model prayer, Jesus taught that prayers are to be addressed to the Father only, since he directed his disciples: "You must pray, then, this way: Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified." (Matthew 6:9) Jesus further stated: "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me . If you ask anything in my name, I will do it." And the apostle Paul stated: "There is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus ."John 14:6, 14; 1 Timothy 2:5.

• meadow77
    meadow77

I understand clearly what your point is, and I can't wait to share this bit of trickery with my JW relatives. It seems no-one but the wt is trying to say that Jesus is not the mediator between man and God. He gives his love and answer to prayer freely to anyone who ask in his name. But the JW's official Watch Tower is the one interpreting this incorrectly as to say that only the 144,000 may recieve Jesus as their mediator and everyone else just gets to tag along. How sad. But then again we are talking about people who deny the diety of christ and therefor can convienantly make him less of importance any time they feel like it. They also refer to the holy spirit as an inactive force. It seems strange that such human responsibilities like comforting and teaching would be attributed to an "inactive force" Not to mention I believe the only sin listed in the bible as unforgivable is blasphemy against the holy spirit. Seems hard to blaspheme against an inactive force.

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

Blondie (BTW that was a cool band from the late 70's)

I understand your point.....

But why even pray to Jesus or what is the point to praying to Jesus is Jesus is not Really your medeator. Just the medeator of the 144,000 which most in the organization are not. And isn't the 144,000 those special super saints starting with the discipels of Jesus' day up untill today with the GB ending with the "last generation at 1914" if thats so the the last of the GB are old and have one foot in the grave. This is acourding to WT theology. Soon there will be no 144,000 (GB from the 1914 era) if thats so there will be know one left to pray to Jesus since Jesus only listens to the 144,000 since he is thier medeator alone. Think of it it's the year 2020 and acourding to WT theology no one can pray to Jesus any more. The only way out for the WT is some bogus new light.

just a thought,

jr

Edited by - clash_city_rockers on 19 November 2002 22:18:40

• Mulan
    Mulan

I'll never forget my horror at being told Jesus was not MY mediator. I just didn't get it.

My hubby always says the dubs say "in Jesus name", the same way people on walkie talkies say "over and out".

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

It's so sad.....

according to WT theology after the 144,000 are dead and gone there will be no one left to pray to Jesus. Where will be your hope.... who will listen.....

The good news is that anyone who places thier trust on Jesus for salvation then Jesus will always be his or her medeator....

there is hope and it is found in Jesus........

jr

Edited by - clash_city_rockers on 20 November 2002 0:12:35

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Maybe so, JR, but please learn to spell Mediator correctly!

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

The Society's mediator beliefs are even more bizarre when you consider that they also teach that the "anointed" are "declared righteous" before being taken into the New Covenant. If the purpose of this is that they can be viewed as "sinless" in God's eyes so that they can be taken into that covenant, why would they then require a mediator, Christ Jesus? Isn't a mediator needed because righteous God is on the one side and "imperfect" people on the other?

Edited by - cyberguy on 28 November 2002 13:13:28

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit