Before and After pics

by bay64me 6 Replies latest jw friends

• bay64me
    bay64me

Remember those pics that were often to be found in the wt/a mags. I'm thinking of the ones where you'd get a group of teenagers 'hanging out' in a back street or some corner.The females would often have seriously backcombed and toussled hair and a scowl on their face and the males were often depicted as yobbos, leering and jeering and looking as menacing as was possible for jws playing make believe!

Then...miracle of miracles, there would be the 'after' shot where the amazing transformation had taken place and suddenly these youths would have radiant kingdom smiles, ankle length skirts and hair slides. The males looking much more mature in their suit and ties would usually have an open bible in one of their hands and the other hand would be doing a random gesture!

Last night I attended a concert in a venue that is also used to host the district assemblies. What a contrast! I saw more "bold beaming faces" in the building last night than I ever remember at the conventions where the pissed- off expressions of the jw mob were a dead giveaway to the fact that they had to get up too early, wear uncomfortable clothing, couldn't find a seat, were bored shitless, kids wouldn't sit still, etc. etc.

My conclusion. The person behind those cock I mean mock-ups in the magazines has definately got it wrong. The worldly, death deserving crowd that I had extreme pleasure in enjoying company with last night had no angry, apathetic demeanor about them. Quite the contrary.

By the way the Foo Fighters were amazing!

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Even though I look at those "before" pictures of youths in their "worldly" environment along with the attire, I can't help but LOL that they still look like JW's. I know that the Society has tried hard to make them or others who where taunting them appear like undesirable "bad association" (1Cor 14:33), it was too fake. The WT Society used youths in "good standing" (bethelites, pioneers, MS...etc.) and you can't get beyond the "props". However, I do have a question. Maybe someone knows.

Do they use "real cigarettes" as some of the "props"? When looking at especially older issues of the magazines (10+ years ago), those "cigs" look like the real thing (Some were even lit up and smoke was ascending heavenward ). Did the WT support the idea of using real cigarettes in their photo shoots years ago? Probably not, huh?

One thing I noticed for sure though. The "joints" in their drug scenes weren't rolled up as nicely as how I used to do them .

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother "Not Exerting Vigorously")

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Good point. I've often wondered the same thing. And what about all those religious icons, like crosses, rosary beads, robes, ect......they must have a storeroom full of that stuff.

• bay64me
    bay64me

Alligator

Sanddigger

Very good points! Did jehovah protect them from demonic influence when they used that stuff?

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Hey glad you enjoyed the gig bay64me. What was the set like?

Ignored One.

• bay64me
    bay64me

Ignored one,

The Foo's opened with "all my life" against a backdrop of three white hearts on a black background (taken from the new album cover) a couple more tunes from the same album ensued, and then some of the older stuff including monkey wrench, breakout and learn to fly.

The performance was very energetic and Dave Grohl was brilliant especially his solo "tired of you"

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

Our 15 year old would always point out how unreal the pictures were, commenting on the ladies always having dresses on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit