Were You At One Time, A Devout Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

When you look back, were you considered by others a "devout" JW? ( Michael Jackson and family as well as the Williams sisters have been charecterized as being "devout"). Did you consider yourself sincere and devoted?

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Yes! But I saw too much hypocrisy in the elders, they started reminding me of the scribes and Pharisees and then the scales started falling off my eyes.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

yes once upon a time I was considered a devout witness. But towards the past several years I saw the how many double standards their were. I watched some get away with things while the little guy got punished. I aslo saw that the elders were always acting like policemen trying to see if a person tripped up. Gossip wow I hate it and depise it and I seen so much of it. I know from my friend BigFloppyDog that I was the topic of gossip in our hall. I guess they had nothing better to talk about. So I started doing things so they could gossip and let it get back to my father and the elders. I was so fed up. The things to do to be devoted eh?

Will God ever remember any good I ever did???

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

The word "devout" is a bit of a media buzz word in the press ascribed to JWs and also many others of different religions and faiths. I was never "devout". I was "active"(a JW buzz word!) but am now I guess an "inactive" Jehovahs Witness. Do you get "Devout" Apostates?....I reckon yes going on what I read here.....would be nice to hear from an "In-active" apostate.....do they exist?....LOL

• minimus
    minimus

DEVOUT APOSTATE .....I like that!

• Prisca
    Prisca

Yes. I was a very conscientious JW - totally believed I was in the "right" religion, believed Jehovah was watching everything I was doing, went witnessing every Saturday and on public holidays, picked up sisters for the meetings and field service, gave talks and did personal study.

It's interesting how ppl could call The Jacksons and the Williams families "devout". Their version of "devotion" in my congregation would have been called "worldliness" and "materialism".

• blondie
    blondie

By devout do you mean sincere, minimus?

I always disliked being called "a Jehovah's Witness." I come from the old school where it was more accurately said, "one of Jehovah's witnesses." (note the lower case "w"; it wasn't until the early 70's that this changed. "Jehovah's witnesses" was supposed to describe what JWs did not be a formal religious designation.)

So if the question is, was I a sincere witness for Jehovah God, yes, I was. I no longer feel that the WTS can say they are because of the lies and misrepresentations they have told or made.

Blondie

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

......but does there exist "in-active" apostates??? All these labels...........so little time!!

• larc
    larc

Just a question......people here are using the word, devout. In my time we used the word, zealous. Has there been a word change over the years?

• JH
    JH

I was relatively devout at first, but I realised that I never gave enough to please them. They were always asking for more and more. Thats when I realised that I could never do enough for them. I somehow knew that they would turn against me some day, if ever I slowed down too much. I always put more importance in love, rather than knowledge or performance. The WT society, wants you to be productive, and talk alot, and bring the most people to the hall. I felt that Jesus put more emphasis on love and helping people in need, than going door to door pesting people. So I became less devout for the Watchtower but more devout for God, helping people in need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit