Talking in public

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• IronGland
    IronGland

I despised giving talks. My stomach stayed in knots the entire day if I had an assignment. Where did the idea that everyone had to be a public speaker come from? I wonder how many people don't reach out for further responsibilities simply because they know it'll mean giving more talks? There's no way I could have ever been an elder for the simple fact that I could barely do a 5 minute talk, much less 45 minutes.

• DIAMOND
    DIAMOND

Giving the talks were no problem. Preparing for them wwas hell. My wife would trip out on me getting out my talk the same day I was to give it. Then getting a G on preparation.

Diamond

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    I didn't mind speaking, I just hated preparing them.

Ditto. Hated it with a passion. Would normally wait until the day of the talk to even look at it. Did a few right at the KH during the beginning of the meeting. Even did a public talk the weekend of giving it. Funny thing was, even with the total lack of preperation, and the slam it together nature of them, everybody used to compliment me on how 'well prepared' the talks were. I just smirked inside.

Of course it doesn't hurt that the material is 2nd grade level crap!

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Speaking at the KH was never a favorite of mine. But being a woman, we didn't have to worry much about speaking, since we couldn't lead in anything. If I did have to speak, it really didn't bother me as I "thought" I was better than everyone at the time. Thank God I don't have that superiority complex anymore!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit