JW evaluations?

by heff 13 Replies latest jw friends

• heff
    heff

I am new to this site. I just want to say that its great, always nice to know that you're not alone in the fight. I wish all current JWs could be forced to sit and read through all these posts just once.....but thats dreaming, I guess.

It seems that from the psychological aspect the experience can be horrible. I was wondering if anyone has seen any psych profile studies of persons in JW-type religions. I am interested in such profiles for current, ex, children of...etc.

Thanks, and, once again, great site!!

• OrangeBlossom
    OrangeBlossom

Welcome to the board Heff. You will enjoy it. Are you still a JW looking for a way out or have you left already?

OB

• heff
    heff

I was born and raised in the so-called truth. Df'd at 17. Nonbeliever since around age 10 or so (23 now). I just remember always looking around at the hall at how miserable the people looked. It seemed to me that the majority of those there, especially the "zealous" ones, were people that would not have much of a place in the "real" society. Either those type, or the elder type who were power hungry and enjoyed feeding off those weaker minded ones.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: It seems that from the psychological aspect the experience can be horrible. I was wondering if anyone has seen any psych profile studies of persons in JW-type religions. I am interested in such profiles for current, ex, children of...etc.

Here is one study, although it has been criticized under scrutiny for being exagerated. Nonetheless, even if it is several hundred percent exagerated, the results are still disturbing.

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/artikkel?Avis=WO&Dato=20010114&Kategori=JWANDMEDICINE5&Lopenr=9999538&Ref=AR

Farkel

• hippikon
    hippikon

Welcome. There seems to there has been a population explosion on the site lately.

Regarding the Psych reports There are dozens on the web Some contadictory but as Farkel said if only part of its true its a worry. Many years ago in Australia (about the time of the KH bombing at Bonnyrig)there was a lot of press about the high rate of mental illness amoungst JWs. The Watchtower response was "No other Oransiation could look after these people the way we do." They didn't argue the accuracy of the information.

• larc
    larc

hippikon,

I would be interested in knowing where I could find the "dozens" of studies. I am only familiar with Bergman's work, and his work has major flaws. Even so, I think the incidence of depression, anxiety, psychosomatic illnesses and low self worth is very high among the Witnesses, based on what I have read here and other places. Also, the JW belief system itself, contributes to those kinds of illnesses. References to studies other than Bergman's would be appreciated.

• hippikon
    hippikon

I'll do the search thing and try to find them. I remember seeing a list on the web some time ago. From memory most related to psyc assesment for military service. I seem to remember a Canadia report about the Psycological effects of disfellowsiping. It was a long time ago so I may be wrong.

• orbison
    orbison

i would be very interested in the canadian report on the psychological effect of being d/f,, thank you

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

Hi Heff:
    I'm with you on wishing all JW's would have to read these posts.

Hopefully the number having their eyes opened would be greater than the type of effect it's had on a current poster StiLLinTruth. He's read and "studied" several sites with his study conductor when coming into the "truth" and his arrogant, self-satisfied, you're all dog dirt, attitude is unbelievable. He's the type of JW that has contributed and even caused the fall, depression, worthless feelings that many of those who have left the org. and are here, have felt or many are still feeling. If someone like him becomes an elder there'll be a even greater exodus.

Welcome here, You'll find many friends who enjoy giving encouragement and a good funny stories too.

Hi Hippikon:
    I'd be interested too in the Candadian report you mentioned about the psycological effects of df'ing. I know for a fact the effects are devastating. JW's spout scriptures about Jehovah discipling those he loves....and...no discipline seems pleasant at the time,but it's for our own good.

That's not discipline. That's just plain cruel, vindictive, controlling, maniacal, lunacy breaking up happy family lives.

I've so...

Had Enough

• hippikon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit