NZ Wine Society's Wine of the Year (Red)

by Mackin 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Thank you. I'm on my way!

• Prisca
    Prisca

LOL @ Nathan Natas

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

SatanNatas. I like it. You should bottle and sell that one.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

From the David Jones Wine Club:

Vasarelli Vineyards Mclaren Vale Cabernet Sauvignon Cabernet Franc Shiraz 2000

McLaren Vale, South Australia.
    2 Bronze
    Winemaker: Pat and Vicki Vasarelli, Vignerons
    Drink Until: 2004

Varieties:Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc & Shiraz
    Foods:Cured meats such as Prosciutto or Char-grilled lamb.
    Oak:American & French new and 1 year old .
    Colour:Deep plum.
    Nose:Plum and cherry fruits with cassis-like overtones.
    Palate:There is a hint of the typical chocolate character of McLaren Vale reds in this terrific Bordeaux-style blend. Whilst emulating the French it is distinctively an Australian dry red blend with the intense ripe berry fruits and beautifully integrated French and American oak. The tannins are long and fine, helping to fill the mouth with flavour.
    Style:Wirra Wirra Church Block, Maglieri Cabernet Merlot, Scarpantoni Ironscarp Red.
    Background:This blend of two of the major grape varieties of the Bordeaux region of France with our uniquely Australian influence with the Shiraz reflects the structure and elegance that blending can display. The varieties work well, with each of the individual parts combining to make the whole a more complex wine.
    Winery Info:For Pat and Vicki Vasarelli, the pairing of food and wine is as much of an art as their lively marriage. Having emigrated to Australia from central Italy they continue the Italian tradition of making spicy pork sausages, year-long cured prosciutto and strongly flavoured salted cod at their McLaren Vale home. The vineyard covers 40 acres and most of the root stocks are over 40 years old. Prior to establishing their own label, the Vasarellis sold their fruit to Wirra Wirra, Ryecroft and Orlando.
    Extra Information:Outstanding Bordeaux-style blend from boutique McLaren Vale vineyard. Great food wine. "Big rich cabernet nose, capcicum and tobacco with a fresh black olive lift. Long, fresh, rich palate, slightly charry and very varietal." - Winestate Sep/ Oct 02

Price $191.88 (per case)

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Francois
    Francois

So, Ozzie, did you not get my post about Yellow Tail wines from Oz? Saw some the other day and I thought, "I'll ask Ozzie first about this wine."

So. What's the story?

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

The only Shiraz i've tasted so far that I like is yellow tail SHiraz.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

So, Ozzie, did you not get my post about Yellow Tail wines from Oz? Saw some the other day and I thought, "I'll ask Ozzie first about this wine."

G'day Frank,

Check out this site: http://www.yellowtailwine.com/

Yellow Tail
    2001 Shiraz

Growing Region:
    Mildura/Riverina - These are the fruit bowls of Australia, supplying nearly all types of stone fruit, citrus and grapes from fertile soils irrigated from the Murray and Murrumbidgee Rivers.
    Mildura is situated approximately 20Km to the West of the South Australian and Victorian Border in what is known as the "Riverland Region" of Victoria and South Australia, and irrigated by the Murray -one of Australia's 3 great rivers.

The "Riverina", also known as the Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area (M.I.A.) grows 55% of
    New South Wales grapes and constitutes 15% of the county's total vintage. The climate in both these areas is hot and dry with approximately 400mm to 600mm of rainfall each year.
    Winemaking:The fruit is allowed to ripen to between 13 to 14 Baume in order to allow maximum fruit richness and flavour whilst giving a deep purple hue to the colour. The juice is fermented on skins for up to 3 weeks allowing soft tannins to be formed into the rich and soft palate seen in many great Australian Shiraz'.

The fermented wine is then drained and the skins pressed into a new vessel to allow a natural malolactic fermentation occur, giving a further softening and palate rounding to this rich variety.
    After settling, a portion of the volume is transferred to oak and allowed to mature for 6 months before blending back into the original wine, adding complexity and texture to the fruit driven palate.
    This wine is then chilled, clarified and bottled on the Estate to ensure maximum quality control in the final product.
    Tasting notes:A rich colour and deep hue introduces your nose to a ripe and rich flavour. A cracked pepper and spice nose is blended with vanilla and fruit ripeness. The vanilla softness on the nose takes you into a ripe palate crammed with weight and soft, sweet oak length.
    Cellaring: Drink now or enjoy until 2005 with correct cellaringFood accompaniments:
    A perfect accompaniment to this wine would be Rich rare char-grilled beef and asparagus or a rich confit de canard to bring out its juicy palate.

Looks interesting, but I haven't seen it in any liquor store as yet. I'll certainly keep looking!

Distributors listed are:

Ells Fine Wine
    Dobbinn Road
    Armagh Road
    Portadown BT62 4EY
    Northern Ireland
    Germany
    Tophi Warenhandelsges. mbH & Co. KG
    Waidmannstrabe 35
    22769 Hamburg
    Germany
    Phone : +49 40 853 1150